Adding maple syrup to the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Country Brewery

Reaction score
Made a brown ale and racked 1 gallon of it into a 1-gallon carboy. Then added 25oz of Maple Syrup to the secondary. I have a couple questions.

1)There should be enough yeast to eat that extra sugar right?
2)OG was 1.058, FG 1.012. I added the Maple Syrup in the secondary and it’s up to 1.072. Assuming that it ferments out how do I figure out the ABV?

Yes, I know 22oz of Maple Syrup seems like a lot. I figure in Papazian’s book he says in a 5 gallon batch you will need 1 gallon of Maple syrup to even notice the flavor, 1/5th of 1 gallon is 25oz....or is that if you are adding it to the boil? :confused:

Well, as far as gravity, you can assume that with the syrup in before fermenting your gravity would have been 1.118. (72-12 = 60, 58+60=118) Do all of your calculations with this number. This is going to be a HUGE beer.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure there are enough to eat through the syrup but I'm wondering about alcohol tolerance.

I'm really curious how this turns out for you! Also, how is that barley wine going?

Well, as far as gravity, you can assume that with the syrup in before fermenting your gravity would have been 1.118. (72-12 = 60, 58+60=118) Do all of your calculations with this number. This is going to be a HUGE beer.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure there are enough to eat through the syrup but I'm wondering about alcohol tolerance.

I'm really curious how this turns out for you! Also, how is that barley wine going?

I used the Wyeast 1968 London ESB. Do you think I'll have to add some yeast? Or do you think the Wyeast will be able to tolerate the alcohol?

I'll keep you posted on it.

The Barley Wine idea is on the back burner, I had the "itch" to mess around with some brown ale instead.

Check the Wyeast website for info on that yeast's tolerance, I am not familiar with it. At this point it's hard to say it you have enough yeast because you transferred it to the secondary. The gravity you added with the syrup is equivalent to that of a low OG beer so adding yeast is probably a good idea. Has it started fermenting again yet? I imagine you'll get a nice krausen and everything.

I'll keep you updated on my barley wine as well. It's been in the bottles for some time now and only has a hiss when I opened the first one after about a month. I plan on trying another one in 2 or 3 months and see how it's carbing up then.

The high new SG reading could be a little high from an incomplete mixing of the syrup into the beer. Or maybe it really is that high.

Direct link to the yeast info... ABV tolerance: 9%

A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

Origin:
Flocculation: Very High
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 64-72F, 18-22C
Alcohol Tolerance: 9% ABV

The high new SG reading could be a little high from an incomplete mixing of the syrup into the beer. Or maybe it really is that high.

I thought that too, but I didn't want it to stir it up too hard. But it's 25 oz oz of maple syrup...that's a lot of sugar.

Fermentation doesn't appear to have re-started yet. I may have to add more yeast. I'm going on vacation for a week, so I'll check the gravity when I get home.

Does anyone have beersmith handy to see what kind of extract yield you can expect from it? I know honey is 1.035 per pound per gallon.

Okay, just tested the gravity. It has stayed the same in 1 week, none of the maple syrup has fermented out. There is a layer of yeast on the bottom, so I gently tipped it upside down a couple times to mix it up. Anything else I should do? It's sitting at about 68 degrees right now.

im new to brewing but if your yeast is only viable to 9% abv, you might need to pitch a different yeast... one that is better at dealing with higher alcohol content

i did a stout a while back, used a pint of maple syrup that i made in the secondary, had to pitch some more yeast. it turned out really good. so i am sure yours will be just fine.

:tank:This beer sounds delicious! If I could find a way to incorporate maple syrup I would do it for every batch...

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have previously added maple syrup to secondary, how much maple flavor did you get from that addition? Was it recognizable? Subtle or forward? Thanks...been thinking about a beer with a late maple addition, and have been wondering how to "dose" it....

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have previously added maple syrup to secondary, how much maple flavor did you get from that addition? Was it recognizable? Subtle or forward? Thanks...been thinking about a beer with a late maple addition, and have been wondering how to "dose" it....

I e-mailed a local brewery asking about maple syrup since they do a maple Belgian which is really good. The brewer told me that they actually use a mix of fake and real syrup since the fake gives a better flavor. Crazy, huh?

I'll for sure keep you updated on this. I was temped to use maple extract just for the reason of the cost. I put in about $20 worth of Maple Syrup in 1 gallon, so a 5 gallon batch would be over $100 in just the syrup! I'll keep you guys updated, I threw the US-05 in there and it's going crazy, I had to install a blow off tube. The problem with the maple syrup is the yeast will consume most of the sugar (and flavor).

Hinterland Brewery from Green Bay WI, makes a nice maple brown ale. At a recent Brewfest I asked the rep (not the brewer) how much maple syrup they add. Maybe I’ll try e-mailing the brewer. The rep didn't know, all he knew is it adds about 1% ABV. So I'm assuming they must also use the maple extract. When this is done fermenting I'll give it a taste and let you guys know.

Living up north I know a few people who tap Maple trees and make the syrup. If this turns out good, I may have to hit them up for a trade.

Personally, if I was going to add Maple Syrup I would boil up the syrup in a bit of water and add it directly to the primary. I shall now demonstrate what you did through personification:

You: OK beer, time for a transfer! Say bye-bye to 95% of your yeast!
Beer: Alright! Transfer! That sounds fun! I'm all done fermenting, who needs all that yeast anyway!
You: OK, transfer complete! Oh BTW here's, like, a truckload of maple syrup I'd like you to ferment.
Beer: But my yeast?! It got left behind! I only have lazy yeast that couldn't be bothered to drop out of suspension!
You: What's taking so long?

I do like the idea, though. Should be a good beer when the fermentation finishes!

Personally, if I was going to add Maple Syrup I would boil up the syrup in a bit of water and add it directly to the primary. I shall now demonstrate what you did through personification:

Beer: Alright! Transfer! That sounds fun! I'm all done fermenting, who needs all that yeast anyway!
You: OK, transfer complete! Oh BTW here's, like, a truckload of maple syrup I'd like you to ferment.
Beer: But my yeast?! It got left behind! I only have lazy yeast that couldn't be bothered to drop out of suspension!
You: What's taking so long...
I agree with this 100% (except for the boil part...I just heat the water enough to facilitate dissolution of the sugar)...I usually make these kinds of additions (brown sugar, honey, even fruit) to primary right as the main bulk of the initial fermentation slows down. You avoid the aromatic/flavor losses that come from boil or flameout additions, and there's still plenty of yeast to rise to the occasion... Also, this way if you still choose to secondary, you can leave secondary for what it was meant for: clearing and aging (not fermenting)

I e-mailed a local brewery asking about maple syrup since they do a maple Belgian which is really good. The brewer told me that they actually use a mix of fake and real syrup since the fake gives a better flavor. Crazy, huh?

Yes, it's crazy! I still think extracts and other similar flavorings should be kept as far away from beer (and mead) as possible...

You: What's taking so long?

I do like the idea, though. Should be a good beer when the fermentation finishes!

I agree in this situation but when only adding a few ounces of maple syrup, it won't stall out in the secondary.

I agree in this situation but when only adding a few ounces of maple syrup, it won't stall out in the secondary.

I added 22 oz of syrup to 1 gallon of wort - much more than just a couple ounces :). I didnt' really expect it to restart fermentation, but I waited anyway and added US-05 later. It's been going strong for a 5 days now, should be done soon.

Did any of your maple beers turn out overly dry?
Any suggestions on how to prevent this maybe some dextrin malt?

I'm brewing a Maple Brown Ale, using the maple sap instead of water, thinking of adding maple syrup, 5oz a flameout and 5oz into the secondary...But if you add yeast into the secondary, wouldn't all the sugars/flavors of the maple syrup fall out, only leaving you with a dry, highly alcoholic beer?

It's interesting that this particular necro-thread revived just now...I've recently been planning to re-brew an oatmeal stout recipe that I used maple syrup in previously....I would say that the half pound of (Grade A) maple syrup that I used last time didn't really contribute much flavor, but I've been reading that Grade B syrup is better in terms of maple character/flavor, and I've sourced some for this re-brew. In terms of the potential drying character of the simple sugar addition, I took this into account with the recipe (has a pound of flaked oats, as well as a pound of crystal malt in the grain bill, so there's plenty of body to absorb the simple sugars....)

Bottom line is that you need to add the maple late in the process to hope to get any maple flavor from it....I will continue to (at least) add late in primary to hopefully keep some of the aromatics in solution. I think another option would be to prime with the maple syrup, but I would imagine that with bottling this could be unpredictable given that there may be a variable amount of fermentable sugar in syrup from source to source....I'm kegging, so this could potentially be less of an issue...

Perhaps I should consider adding the maple syrup during the kegging process, that way any excess CO2 could be vented away, and perhaps maintain the maximum of maple character?

I just read this ancient thread with interest since I am looking for a good maple nut brown recipe. Seems that using real maple in any given amount or form tends to universally result in the sugar (sweetness) fermenting out, thus the beer drying out with very little expected maple flavor/aroma left behind. In which case, I wouldn't hesitate to use a discriminate amount of maple extract to embellish the real maple product. While extract adds taste, it also produces an aroma (unlike real maple alone) that alerts the palate to the fact there is real maple in the beer. Again, it has to be done very carefully. I have done it with an apricot wit and a watermelon hefe with great results, 2 oz. for 5 gal @ bottling. The nice thing about doing it @ bottling is that you can pre-test the effect it has on a small amount before scaling it to the whole batch. Or not use it at all if it's not what you're looking for. Again, the trick is to use the extract in harmony with the real thing as a way to subtly introduce the essence of the flavor you want via the nose without the beer tasting "extract-y".

Back