Fermentation Too Fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xon432246

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been using the Mr. Beer kit for 2 batches of beer and the fermentation seemed to take about 1-1/2 weeks. I started my first 5 gallon batch of True Brew amber ale and within 8 hours after pitching fermentation began. My concern is that while the fementation seemed vigorous it only lasted about 36 hours. After that all bubbling at the airlock seemed to stop. Is that normal?

Pretty soon someone will get in this thread going off about how a bubbling airlock doesn't mean crap. So it might as well be me. :D Just because the airlock isn't bubbling doesn't mean that the beer is done fermenting. The only way to tell if it is done fermenting is to take a gravity reading. If it's the same gravity 3 days in a row, then and only then do you know it's done. If you have yet to hit in the ballpark of your suggested FG, well then you might have a stalled fermenetation. But that's really not likely with an average OG beer. Hope this helps! If it is done, nothing wrong with that. Let the yeast clean up for another 2-3 weeks and then bottle/keg.

Latest posts

Back