My sugar baby pumpkins have sprouted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O man, one of my FAVORITE beers is New Holland's Ichabod which is a nice amber ale with a hint of pumpkin spice.

And I LOVE the idea of growing your own beer ingredients. I have some hops in the ground now that I can't wait to use in my brewing.

PLEASE let us know how this turns out!

Here is my recipe at this juncture...though I must confess I keep tweaking it. It is based on the pumpkin dubbel in the brooklyn brewshop book.

5 Gallon Batch

Full Boil:
4lbs Roasted Pumpkin
3lbs Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract
2lbs Brown Sugar, Dark
1lb BriessSweet Brown Rice Syrup 45DE High Maltose
8oz Amaranth
8oz Molasses
1 cinnamon stick

1.5 oz Hallertau at 60 min
.25 oz saaz at 15 min
1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice at 10 min
.5 oz hallertau at 1 min

Safbrew T-58 yeast

The pumpkins will be peeled, seeded and then tossed in 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar and then roasted at 325 for 1 hour.

I'm torn on the molasses because I didn't have the best experience with that before so I cut a lot of it out from what they are calling for in their recipe. I'm also contemplating racking this onto oak chips that have been soaked in bourbon.

**Edit**per the original recipe I will be adding 1 cup of maple syrup at bottling time.

ChasidicCalvinist said:
Btw--I love the New Holland brewery. Fond memories of that place from my times at WTS.

Your screen name makes more sense now :)

Latest posts

Back