Washed yeast: how old is your oldest in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebben

Reaction score
I've got a WLP810 San Francisco lager yeast that was first pitched in December of '08. I've used it as recently as May to make a starter for a pale ale...and it worked terrific.

I've got one bottle left of the original yeast that I harvested around New Years day...I'll probably put it back to use in October and re-wash yeast then to keep going for next year.

How old are your longest aged yeast vials/washed pints?

I have some 1084 from April '08 but I just took a whiff and it's time to get rid of it...

[Edit: Oops, actually that wasn't washed... it was a starter I ended up not using.]

I have some 3068 that I got lazy on and let sit on slant for nearly a year. Two batches in a row are pathologically unfloccing. Like there is only dust on the bottom of the glass. Stupendous wispy cloudiness. In no way normal.

I have recultivated another plate --> slants from a sterile water suspension to see if I can get back to a unmutated state, but haven't tested yet in actual weizenbeer. Need to do that.

sampling the brew rather liberally tonite, sorry if not making the best sense. Will clarify later if needed.

I just got done using a San Fran that expired in 2007. It sat in the fridge the whole time. I made a starter and stepped it up over 72hours. I fermented with it (steam beer) and washed it and it's now sitting in my fridge again. I transferred the beer to a carboy and it was at FG1.012.

About a month and a half.... I've already used it for 20 gallons worth and I'll be making a starter this week or next week with it to do another 10 gallons with some of it.... It settled out funny so I may actually be posting a pic with questions... I'm still new to this yeast washing thing but thus far it has saved me about 20 bucks!

Three months old. It's in a growler though, so I need to make a big batch of beer out of it. Maybe I will make a stout...who knows.

Latest posts

Back