Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend Viability Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corwin3083

Reaction score
I pitched an activator of Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend into a 2.5 gallon batch last night. I haven't seen any activity yet, but am not worried and am waiting the standard 72 hours, etc.

However, I am curious about long-term viability of the bugs in the blend, apart from the saccharomyces. I know from these forums that they're much slower-acting than saccharomyces; would one activator pack have pitched enough of them for them to wake up and start eating down the line, assuming for the sake of argument that I ended up having to pitch some dry yeast or something after the 72 hours possible lag time is up? Or in that case would there be a chance I'd want to repitch the bugs, too?

No need to re-pitch the bugs. You're probably fine anyway since it hasn't even been 24 hours, but the bugs aren't like normal yeast. Even in small amounts, it's still enough to "infect" your beer.

Of course, I've always used the bugs within 1-2 months of the date on the package, so I could be wrong about how long they'll last.

There was a nice krausen when I went home for lunch today. I can't wait to watch the bugs take over in a couple months, though...

From what I've read and experienced, underpitching is the way to go with these bugs anyway. Enjoy your year + long wait.

I was given a few 2 year old packs of Lambic Blend & Roselare once. Out of curiosity I pitched them (and only them) into a 5 gallon batch. It actually still soured nicely. I certainly don't recommend using old yeast/bugs to anyone nor would I normally use them myself, but I definitely wouldn't worry about yours either.

Back