Fruit Beer recipe, lemme know what you think.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
First step, take 1 pound of 2-row pale malt, scoop off a quarter cup or so, mash the rest. Blend the held back quarter cup with the wort and set aside, covered with tinfoil, in a warm place for 2 days

boil 3 lbs pilsen DME and 3 lbs light DME for 60 minutes with one ounce of aged chinook hops (been sitting out for about 4 months now)

Ferment in primary until gravity is stable

heat 3 lbs peaches until they turn to goo, strain out pits and pour into secondary carboy (after cooling somewhat, cause it is a better bottle) and rack beer onto it.

Let sit on peaches at least a month before bottling.

Any criticisms or suggestions would be welcome. I still have no idea what yeast to use, I want one that won't eat up all the fruit flavor.

I've been making a lot of fruit beers lately, and actually have done one not too different from this in the past. It was a a sour mash raspberry. Here's a link with some information on it:

http://thisiswhatidowithmytime.blogspot.com/2009/11/sour-mash-raspberry-ale.html

When I did my sour mash, it accounted for about half of the fermentables. I'm not sure if a 1lb sour mash with 6 lbs of DME is going to give you much perceptible sourness. Also, you should boil the soured wort before combining it back with the rest to kill the lacto - otherwise it'll go nuts on the rest of your wort.

Be careful when heating the peaches, because if you get them too hot you'll set the pectin, leaving a heavy haze in your beer.

I have found that racking onto fruit in the secondary doesn't impart of lot of fruit flavor because the yeast loves the fructose and will eat it all. What I've been doing lately is making a beer (usually a wheat) then stabilizing with K-Sorbate and "dry hopping" with some dried fruit (like apricot or dried mango) in a mesh bag in my keg. IT helps keep the fruit flavors intact a bit better.

I had been told by a few people that the fruit themselves will ad a fair amount of sourness as well so I didn't want to go overly sour. I may increase the amount of 2 row somewhat, although I don't have the facilities to do all that much mashing.

What sort of yeast did you use for your raspberry ale?

It certainly may. I've not yet used peaches so can't speak from firsthand experience on those.

I believe I used an S05 for that one - nothing terribly fancy.

Back