Best Lube for Sliding Glass Door?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried different spray lubes and even this wax stuff and it seems like I'm always out there spraying the track down cause the glass and screen doors dont slide easy.
Just a fact of life?

I'm sure it depends on the type of slider you have. We had the same issue with our door and replaced the rollers.

Where can you pick something like this up?

Any hardware store or auto store (it's used to lubricate the key receptacles on auto ignitions). But it is basically ground pencil lead, so if you have a white vinyl frame, it may not be a good idea if you're sloppy.

I'd go with the graphite.

I've replaced the wheels on some big sliders - made a night and day difference. They are cheap and you can get them at Lowes / HD. Not hard to do. You do need to removed the sliding door and lay it down while you're doing it.

Even if you don't want to replace them, it's worth it to have a look. They might have some hair or similar wrapped up in there.

:off: Once I was researching for the best all around bike chain lubricant back when I was really into biking long distance. In my 'research,' I discovored loads of people who wrote extensive articles on not only using extra virgin olive oil, but even using melted butter as a chain lube - so long as it was "unsalted." *facepalm* :p

Back on topic, I find a good oil/lube to be Liquid Wrench Super Oil which can be bought at Bi-Mart.

I'm sure it depends on the type of slider you have. We had the same issue with our door and replaced the rollers.

I agree with this, every time that I have had a hard to move door I replaced the rollers to fix it.

They are usually riding on rollers, so check and replace. Other than that, I'd try the graphite. I know it's recommended for stuff like throttle linkage because it doesn't hold onto dirt like a liquid lube will.

Lifting a door out is a pain, but rollers break and most of the time, they are the problem. Typically, there's only one or two screws holding them in, so they are easy to remove.

Thanks for this. We just bought a house with a slider that sucks to open. I didn't know the rollers where just pretty generic and could be picked up at lowes. Might need to grab a set tonight.

Thanks for this. We just bought a house with a slider that sucks to open. I didn't know the rollers where just pretty generic and could be picked up at lowes. Might need to grab a set tonight.

I think I got mine at HD, and I think there were several different types. Might want to pull the door down (quick with 2 people), remove a wheel, and put it back up temporarily. Take the wheel with you and maybe save a return trip.

I think I got mine at HD, and I think there were several different types. Might want to pull the door down (quick with 2 people), remove a wheel, and put it back up temporarily. Take the wheel with you and maybe save a return trip.

Yeah, I was planning on it just to be safe. Thanks.

Back