Added 2.5 oz, priming sugar to 2 gallons of Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstalder

Reaction score
I read around forums, and read about uncapping and recapping if you add to much sugar...

I did math wrong and thought I had 2.5 gallons so added 1/2 of what I would add to 5 Gallons. Turned out was 2 gallons of Western Ale.

So just checking is that out of parameters for bottles to handle.

By my calculator, assuming your bottling temps peaked at 70F, you'd be getting about 3.2 volumes of CO2. If your beer was super-saturated with CO2, it will be even more. I don't know that that would necessarily blow up your bottles, but it will be a mighty fizzy beer.

Assuming your bottles don't blow, you can still make the beer drinkable. Once it's ready just pour the beer down the middle of your glass, don't pour down the edge. This will cause the beer to foam up, and you'll get a huge foamy head. Let it settle back down, and continue pouring. You'll probably have to repeat this process a few times, but at the end you'll have knocked out a lot of the excess CO2, and developed a creamy head in the process.

Lol...i guess that was what I was actaully asking is the chances of:

"Assuming your bottles don't blow,..."

The chances of it blowing? But I guess well just see!?!

Lol...i guess that was what I was actaully asking is the chances of:

"Assuming your bottles don't blow,..."

The chances of it blowing? But I guess well just see!?!

There's no good way to answer, basically. I've had bottles be fine at well above 3.2 volumes, but I've had (a few) bottles blow up at less. Not all glass is created equal, and not all bottles have the same glass thickness. Particularly if the bottle has been exposed to heat, it can develop weaknesses over time.

Just don't store the bottles next to your collection of ancient Chinese porcelain and don't sleep with them under your pillow. You'll be fine.

You should be ok - just drop them in the fridge early. I WAY over-primed by first brew (brewed half batch and primed for a full). Just put them all in the fridge after about 5 days. They're bubbly (I call them Bubbly Browns), but uncap and let them set for 10 minutes and they're good.

Thank to all..this is the best and fastest answering group I ever have been involved with.

Ill let everyone know if I get bombs or buzzed!!

There's no good way to answer, basically. I've had bottles be fine at well above 3.2 volumes, but I've had (a few) bottles blow up at less. Not all glass is created equal, and not all bottles have the same glass thickness. Particularly if the bottle has been exposed to heat, it can develop weaknesses over time.

Just don't store the bottles next to your collection of ancient Chinese porcelain and don't sleep with them under your pillow. You'll be fine.

I think this is how you quote...first time working with forums...

Anyway, you just ruined my morning! You see, the bottles I was speaking of are, my ancient Chinese porcelain...right after I drank my hot and sour soup out of them...I was 2 bottles short so I used my MIL's vase and duct tape for rest....thanks a lot"

I think this is how you quote...first time working with forums...

Anyway, you just ruined my morning! You see, the bottles I was speaking of are, my ancient Chinese porcelain...right after I drank my hot and sour soup out of them...I was 2 bottles short so I used my MIL's vase and duct tape for rest....thanks a lot"

In that case, you're totally screwed. Sorry dude. :mug:

Back