T-58 + Sorghum = Accentuated Sourness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is the second time I've used T-58 and Sorghum and had the sourness come to the front of the flavour. Anyone else used T-58 and sorghum before? Did you find what I'm finding in your tests?

FYI, the current brew with T-58 has ginger and I have read that it can cause sourness.

I have had the same problem but without using T-58. We just tried a brew with less sorghum thinking that was the problem and helped some but there is still a sour note. We have made 2 batches that have had a sour taste and they used different yeasts which leads me to suspect the sorghum. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows anything about sorghum imparting sour flavor.

Sorghum does have it's own flavor, a combination of bitterness and metallic and perhaps a bit sour. We call it sorghum's unique flavor that we try to work with, or avoid entirely by using other fermentables. Check out all the threads in the forum here, in a large number of them, we refer to this aspect of sorghum and what we've tried to do with it. I've referenced some research papers in one or two of themabout the different phenols in sorghum (compared to barley) and what some have done to reduce them, but I haven't been able to put those into practice yet.

What I think spaced is refering to is that there's a sourness that's more apparent than he ordinarily has experienced with other yeasts (but I could be reading that wrong).

What I think spaced is refering to is that there's a sourness that's more apparent than he ordinarily has experienced with other yeasts (but I could be reading that wrong).

Yep, exactly that.

Thanks for the info guys, will give T58 a wide berth in future.

Update (@ 2 weeks)
Sourness is starting to reduce a little. Thinking the yeast might be cleaning up after itself. Taste has improved. Will go in the bottle at 3 weeks (have people spraying for pests before the house inspection the following week).

Latest posts

Back