DFH Palo Santo Marron (I do not need to be aroused)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenmusic

Reaction score
So I'm drinking this Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron - an amazingly complex beer that I still don't know how I found in my area (normally pretty dead down here), and I'm thinking "I would love this, even if it lacked the qualities of the wood from which it was named!" <Insert wood joke here. Oh wait, DFH already did that.>

What would I see in a recipe for an... Imperial Brown Ale? I brew AG, so I would love for someone to give me an idea of what I would see in a clone of this brew (minus the fact that, while I am geographically closer to the source of this wood than a lot of people here, I probably will never have any Palo Santo wood to age on). Honestly, I don't think the woodiness came through on the batch that I have, but I can certainly get a hint of it.

So yeah. Recipe masters, help me find an imperial brown (I'll probably be using WLP001, since I have some washed). :D

A great read on DFH, btw: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger :ban:

This is what I got from the video on youtube that takes you through the making of it. They obviously won't give %'s, but I'm sure if you look at some basic Brown recipes, you'll figure it out. I've never had the beer, so I'm not sure what the color should be. That would help if you could find out the actual SRM. Here's my take on the recipe based on a regular brown ale recipe.

71% - 2-row - 14.7lbs
15% - wheat - 3.15lbs
10% - Crystal - 2.1lbs
2.5% - Chocolate - 0.5lbs
1.5% - Black Patent - 0.2lbs

Malts: 2-row, chocolate, crystal, black patent, wheat...basically the same things you'd see in a stout, only less.

Hops: warrior, glacier, palisades

Yeast: scottish ale yeast

Now you just need to plug those ingredients into some brewing software and try to hit 11% ABV. Also, the DFH website states in their tasting notes that there are hints of vanilla from the wood used. You may want to be careful with this wood if you decide to use it. I've heard it's VERY potent.

This is what I got from the video on youtube that takes you through the making of it.

I assume you mean this series? Gonna watch now.

watch

Back