Thermal Water Stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, yes another drawing. I don't know why I draw so much but it helps me to say more than I can with words. Wondering this time if something like this would work.
Thermal_Water_Circulator.GIF

It seems like a good enough idea. I am just hating trying to find a small stirrer for my HLT. Is this right in theory? Water should move shouldn't it? I am not expecting a lot of movement, just circular currents to help with heating.

Let the ridicule commence, LOL.

In theory, it should work. Have you seen the write up about a Planispiral Immersion chiller? It works with the same principle, and it gets the wort moving. So, I don't know why your design wouldn't work.

John

Most water heating elements cannot be run in a vertical position - they will burn out. You need to find one that is rated for dry-firing to be able to do this... I think McMaster has them, and even some hardware stores.

I'm sure he knows this and won't run it dry. You could probably get away with bending the element some more so it doesn't stick up as high, but then you'd be interfering with your smokestack project.

A stirrer is just for better heating efficiency. It would work without one, but I want it to be as good as it can be. Without a stirrer, you are relying on thermals. With a stirrer you are directing your thermals, and also preventing as much of a thermal barrier on your heating element.

It's not going to make much difference. Once the water begins to heat, you are going to get significant agitation from temperature difference. If you really want to work on efficiency, insulating the HLT is the way to go.

I would say the easiest thing to do is fill it with water and fire it up. Put your thermo in various places and see just how big of a temp gradient you get. Don't fix a problem until you have one.

mr x said:
It's not going to make much difference. Once the water begins to heat, you are going to get significant agitation from temperature difference. If you really want to work on efficiency, insulating the HLT is the way to go.

Yep, already done :D
DSCN1867.JPG

Three layers each of Reflectix Insulation followed by two separate coatings of Line-X bed liner. Very nicely insulated I might add :D.

Check out the full project here!

He quoted me $35 each, then when I went to pick them up he told me how much he had in them in product ($100). So, after making me wait a week and telling me everyday they would be done the next, he only charged me $50 each. Worth it, I just hate he under quoted me on them initially because they are worth more than a $50 each job.

Back