Bittering a beer in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggae

Reaction score
so i brewed a tripple a few weeks ago and tonight it hit is FG/TG of 1.013 from 1.077. its gonna be a nice stong beer. great taste, but one thing: i am only at about 19 IBUs. i was reaching for 25 or so, not sure how it happened. prolly due to inexact amounts. anyway, is there anyway to bitter this tripple up? its not a big deal. i just was wondering if there is a way to retro-bitter?

thanks

1/2 oz. of any bittering hop in a quart of water boiled for 60 minutes will give you the maximum load of 90 IBU. Do the addition to the wort by taste.

Due to the high ph of the water, hop teas are not all that great to use. The right way to do what you want you need to use this stuff. http://www.hoptech.com/cart/cart.php?target=category&category_id=302

This is a hop extract. Many commercial brewers use this to cut down on the loss of wort due to absorption by the hops. I have used this stuff to salvage a number of beers. I have even won medals with beers with a little of this added.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Back