Need c02 advice please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazzydave

Reaction score
There is two kinds of c02 avalable to me.
Beer co2 at 75 dollars for 20lb
Beverage c02 at 48 dollars for 20lb
I would like to know if they both would work for home brew.
Thanks Dave

crazzydave:
I am planning to try keg-carbonation myself, so I recently spoke with an AirGas manager, who told me that they offer pure CO2 for more-highly carbonated types of beer, BUT....a blend of CO2 and another gas such as nitrogen(maybe argon) for stouts, which are less-highly CO2-nated. He said overcarbonation of the heavier beers causes them to turn entirely to foam. Ask before paying.

At those prices you are probably paying rent on their cylinder. A welding shop around here charges $11.00 to refill my 10 lb CO2 cylinder. You probably only need beer gas for stouts to create a head while keeping the carbonation low.

Wow, crazzydave is getting graped and AlCophile is getting bad info from AirGas. :cross:

Beer Gas is a CO2/Nitrogen mix most commonly used in stouts where you want the cascading effect and a very thick head. It's 100% NOT necessary for use in dispensing 'heavier beers'. Beer gas is used AFTER a stout has already been carbonated with CO2 since the nitrogen level (typically 75-80%) will prevent CO2 from entering the beer in keg.

Have a balanced system (which works for the pressures you'll be using) will result in NOT getting tons of foam for all beers. I use CO2 for my porters, browns, pale ales, IPAs, etc. Basically ALL my beers are put on tap and carbonated at a CO2 pressure set that works best for the style. Figuring that out is key.

A good many of us have found that fire extinguisher shops (those that recharge the CO2 ones) are a GREAT source for CO2. The 'purity level' of CO2 isn't an issue from these sources, since they're within a few thousandths of a percentage of the one the AirGas managed told AlCophile about.

BTW, I paid $17 to get my 20# CO2 tank filled at a fire extinguisher place. They fill up 5# tanks for $10 and 10# tanks for $12.
IMO, the AirGas guy was trying to scare AlCophile into over-paying for the CO2 they sell.

No other choice in the middle of no where.
So i want pure c02 then .
This is for ales and rootbeer.
Thanks dave

At those prices I would just bottle it all and be done with it.

At work we serve everything in regular co2 but every once in a great while with a big stout we get the beer mix. Unless its big and thick I wouldn't bother (I know..."thats what she said").

I just checked into it here in Tampa and I found 10LB refills ranging from $22 - $40.
All of them want it dropped off and can pick up a couple hours later. What's the deal with that? I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that it was similar to a propane refill.

I just checked into it here in Tampa and I found 10LB refills ranging from $22 - $40.
All of them want it dropped off and can pick up a couple hours later. What's the deal with that? I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that it was similar to a propane refill.

It is at a fire extinguisher place, or at least it is with the decent (or better) ones. I would make sure you find a way to identify your actual tank, unless you don't care if you don't get it back.

Gents:
Truly not 5 min. after answering crazzydave, I found an article on the very first page of Articles(tab above), about use of N2 gas in beer. Check it out. I shall be reading ALL the articles.

Latest posts

Back