Are there any Hornsby's clones out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taureangirl

Reaction score
I love the Hornsby's Crisp Apple Cider, but I can't find a clone recipe. Does anyone have one or a recipe close to it? Thanks!

I haven't had Hornsbys in years. Now that I'm in Vermont, they basically only sell Woodchuck. I do remember they taste very similar.
The question is, what about it do you want to replicate? If you just want a sweet cider, there is a couple ways of doing it. Do a search as there are many threads on the topic.
Oh and don't listen to the naysayers of Hornsby. It tastes very good and there is no reason not to try to make a similar cider. From my personal experience, you won't be able to replicate much. Unlike beer, which uses ingredients that are very replicate-able, cider largely depends on the mix of apples and good cider apples are hard to find. The nice thing about cider is that whatever you end up making, it will taste incredible.

I like the Crisp Apple cider because it tastes like a fresh apple. It doesn't taste like a beer with apple in it.
I wonder if I make my own apple juice, will I,get the flavor I want....

Hi Taurean, an outstanding resource for any new cider maker is www.makingcider.com It was put together by a cider maker who needed to do a website for a graduate school class she was in and its just outstanding, gives you all the basics and some options. Definitely can help you make a sweet or semi-dry sparkling draft-style cider like Hornsby's.

I make a cider like this, I always seem to have a batch going because its very popular with friends and my partner. Pay no attention to the negative comments above about this style of cider - complex ciders made from fresh pressed apples are wonderful, as are apple wines, but there is something very attractive about a simple sparkling cider, light and refreshing. I've made dozens of batches, using this basic method http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Apple-Cider.html

Hornsby's relies on artificial flavors and sweeteners. My opinion, and of course it is just that, is that it doesn't seem to be much in the way of real cider aside from containing some apple flavor. Sugar hooch with apple flavor.

I am still a newbe at this, however I have brewed enough to learn a lot. Try a basic brew first to learn and once you learn the basics, then try to change things after you understand the basics. Try a very basic cider with no added sugar, Nottingham Ale or English cider yeast, ferment dry and bottle. It won't be what you are looking for, but it will be delicious. Three gallons of cider will produce 30ish bottles. Have fun.

Back