The Christmas Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardwookie

Reaction score
Tis the season to say "Thank You" to all the homebrewers out there whose ideas and insights helped me to build my own keezer. I have not stopped by in many weeks and came back to a couple PMs regarding the pics I posted in the "Show us your kegerator" thread. Here is my story....

Two years ago, I did a speech in Toastmasters going over all the hobbies I had in the past (guitar, cartooning, poker, video games, saltwater fish, playing card manipulation, model making, writing, freshwater fish, motorcycle riding, juggling, etc). At the end of the speech, as a joke, I said my next hobby would be brewing beer.

After the speech, I googled "brewing beer" to check it out and came across a vibrant community around homebrewing. I started reading all I could and put a watch on CraigsList for a kit. After about a month, I found somebody selling a great starter kit for 75 bucks. It had all I needed -- bottles, carboys, wort chiller, aluminum pot, and more!

You all know the rest of the story, I got hooked brewing and eventually became interested in kegging. After finding an old Perlick unit on CL, I converted it to a dual tapper. I had Apfelwein on tap at all times and a beer on the other tap. Eventually, I yearned for variety. I decided on building a 10-tap keezer.

I finally found a 20 cu ft unit on CL and somehow got it into my Ford Escape.

I used a Kreg pocket hole thingy to make the collar out of regular 2x4s. I then spray painted it. It would not sit on the edge of the freezer quite flat, so I ran a bead of bath caulk around the bottom of the whole thing and weighted it down. It stayed just fine. After that set, I ran a bead where the collar meets the freezer to seal it even more better.

I bought the drip trays from BarProducts.com and they sit on welding magnets from Farm and Fleet. I attached the cap catcher with a roll of magnet "tape" stuck to the catcher. I used a 4-way and 6-way manifold from morebeer attached together.

I think I found a hobby to stick with. And to all, a good night.

Keg14.jpg

Keg23.jpg

Keg32.jpg

WOW! Those apples look delicious.

How much did that freezer run you before all of the modifications? I have been trying to find one reasonable, and I think that my definition of reasonable must be skewed.

I got the freezer from a food pantry who was upgrading. It was 300 and a few years old.

Good Lord Man how many taps you need?...lol You will love all the cleaning....
I hate cleaning the lines and taps of my keezer and I only have 4. Really though very nice looking rig you should be proud.

I saw this one when you posted in the kegerator thread. it's a thing of beauty! I am a hobby nut like you, much to SWMBO's chagrin.:D

Back