Twist on the continuous brew setup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Setting up my for my first brew and evaluating what equipment to buy. Is it possible to use the 2.5 gal continuous brew setups to brew in the regular style? All in and all out at the same time. I like the idea of not having to make a little more tea and add it every time I want to take some off, so the traditional brew method would be best for me. But I like the continuous brew systems as they have spigots, are large, and allow for you to leave the scoby in the brewing container between runs (which exposes it to less potential contamination).

So is it ok to use these large continuous brew containers w spigots to do longer traditional style 2-3 week brews?

Thanks

Spigot or no spigot you can ferment either way as they are both just containers. I changed over to a continuous system to more easily alter the flavor and achieve good bacteria with each bottling. And you are spot on with less contamination, I like how I don't have to handle the scoby as much, limits the things you must monitor when making a batch.

A few of my friends use a big jar and leave their Scoby in the jar while removing the KT, without the spigot they must use a ladle or spoon to get out their liquid and refill.

Thanks for the help kw. I'll go ahead now and get the continuous brew set up I was looking at.

Something else I've been wondering about is that when I get Kombucha at the local co-op it's always got some sediment in the bottom. I've always assumed these nether dwelling swirly dark things to be 'the good stuff' probiotic wise, although I'm not entirely sure. But if that sediment is what you want, would using a brew container that would seem to trap most of it (inside the container below the spigot) be a negative aspect of using a continuous brew set up? I guess you could just swirl the whole thing before tapping off your bottles if you wanted to get at everything on the bottom.

I use large jars and some 2-quart mason jars. I do not handle my scobys at all. The mason will pour easy enough but the larger jars just spill all over the place. I use a racking cane on these.

Drinking the sediment is a personal preference. The dark brown ooglies are dead yeasts. The won't hurt, but I doubt are helpful. There is plenty of yeast and bacteria floating around in suspension to be beneficial to the gut. Since the KT is "alive" you'll always have some sediment at the bottom of your containers.
I drink the raw bits and the kombucha jellyfish that will form on the surface in bottles.

Back