Using a 3 gallon Better Bottle as my secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillyblue

Reaction score
So I have a 3 gallon glass carboy, and thinking of picking up a 3 gallon Better Bottle to use as my secondary. (I brew 2.5 gallon batches)

I have heard that it might not be good to use the better bottle as a secondary since it is plastic. Is this true? I probably would not keep the beer in the BB longer than 4 weeks.

Or should I use the BB as my primary and the glass as my secondary?

But why use a secondary at all? :)

Rick

A couple of reasons:
-My wife wants a raspberry wheat for the summer
-Free up my primary
-Dry hopping (I know I can dry hop in my primary)
-I want to try and make a lager. One of the books I was reading say to drop the temp for the secondary to 35 - 45.

A better bottle is FINE to use as a secondary, it's FINE to use as a primary (even for an extended one)....It's FINE TO USE, PERIOD. All that other stuff you heard is just opinions, mostly spread from the glass carboy industry when the CHEAPER better bottles hit the market.....

I have a couple glass carboys and a better bottle carboy. I actually do the opposite: primary in the better bottle, and move to the glass for secondary. While it should be fine, I prefer to use the glass anytime I need to secondary, which I tend to do for longer period.

Also, if you want to play with sours like I do, the better bottle is probably not the best choice for sours. Don't want it to pick up the "infection" from the sours and pass it along, which is easier if you don't take good care of it (can be rougher with glass).

But Revvy is right, no reason you can't use them. I like mine.

Latest posts

Back