Star San dilution ratios bottle sprayers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
I just got my Star San....and they give me a ratio of 1oz to 5 gallons!!:drunk:

I was thinking about just mixing it in a 24oz spay bottle... I did they backwards math and it comes to like .0375 oz per 24oz water.

I figured, since there are 6 teaspoons in a ounce...I'd use a 1/4 teaspoon measure to get to .0410 oz....which is pretty close.

Sound good to you guys?

I just got my Star San....and they give me a ratio of 1oz to 5 gallons!!:drunk:

I was thinking about just mixing it in a 24oz spay bottle... I did they backwards math and it comes to like .0375 oz per 24oz water.

I figured, since there are 6 teaspoons in a ounce...I'd use a 1/4 teaspoon measure to get to .0410 oz....which is pretty close.

Sound good to you guys?

Sounds close enough. I usually make it in 2.5 gallon batches with 1/2 ounce. I'll soak what I need to soak in that batch and fill a spray bottle to boot. I have an old 5 gal plastic water bottle that I keep the remainder in for another brew day.

I make mine in a gallon weed sprayer...you are totally going to love it in a spritzer bottle.

Good on the math too....I mix my StarSan by eyeballing 1/5 of an oz in the measuring deal on the bottle. :D

Wow...i have never even thought of a spary bottle for star san. I have seen it on other santizers before. I think i will be off to walmart to get me a bottle sprayer

I make mine in a gallon weed sprayer...you are totally going to love it in a spritzer bottle.

Good on the math too....I mix my StarSan by eyeballing 1/5 of an oz in the measuring deal on the bottle. :D

Now that's a real good idea. Do/Can you open up the top of the sprayer to drop in items for a quick soak as well?

We always have five gallons of starsan at the brewery, usually full of fittings and gaskets as well. The spray bottle is a must. Every time you open a valve or add a hose or pull trub or yeast, you blast it with the spray bottle. Got the same thing at home.

For home, I use distilled water for starsan - otherwise it turns to soap in a week with my water.

I keep a spray bottle of StarSan around all the time. The dollar store has good spray bottles and takes so little StarSan, it is a cheap way of keeping things clean.

This may be helpful for those of you making your dilutions:

1 US fluid ounce = 6 US teaspoons

I do 1/4 ounce to 5 quarts which is 1.5 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon) to 5 quarts. It works well for me because the pot I put it in when I make it is 5 quarts :D

I also use the spray bottle method almost exclusively except for items like hoses and bottle caps. Most of my stuff gets sprayed and some gets soaked. I always take my largest cookie sheet to put my hydrometer, thermometer, etc... on and spray that stuff. That way, the item is sanitized and so is what it's sitting on.

Get yourself a 5 gallon water bottle and fill it with Glacier RO water from the store. Add two tables spoons of Starsan and you now have 5 gallons of sanitizer for whatever, whenever. It will last for months and won't cloud up on you. Don't use tap water for your spray bottle.

I have a water well.....and I also have an ozmosis filter system on it. Will that be ok?

I make a gallon at a time and keep it in a jug with a lid. 1.25 teaspoons in a gallon of water is the proper mix for Starsan

2 tablespoons = 6 teaspoons of Starsan for 5 gallons.
6 teaspoons / 5 gallons = 1.2 teaspoons for 1 gallon.
1.2 teaspoons = 1 and 1/4 teaspoons (its really really close.)

OK I hate approximates without explainations.
1 oz. = 29.574 ml
29.574 ml / 5[gallons] = 5.9148
6 ml is 1 & 1/4 teaspoons so its close to the actual of 5.9148 ml per gallon needed.

So for 1 gallon I use 1 and 1/4 teaspoons Starsan.

Definitely one of my favorite "tools". I keep a 3 gallon corny full of the stuff too, but man that little spray bottle gets used every day around my place.
I like the weed sprayer idea. I guess you can get that wand into carboys and such.

I always make up a 2.5 gallon batch (tap water), but it seems after a couple of weeks it starts to smell. So do you use distilled water, or bottled spring water, i've read both.:eek:

I always make up a 2.5 gallon batch (tap water), but it seems after a couple of weeks it starts to smell. So do you use distilled water, or bottled spring water, i've read both.:eek:

I use RO water. I'd go with distilled or RO, but I don't have any scientific reason other than the stuff tends to cloud up otherwise.

That is why StarSan is where it is at. Some people think that it is expensive because it probably does have the highest upfront cost, but I bought my 32oz bottle in May...of 07, and I still have a quarter of it left. Plus, i dont just use it for brewing. I keep a spraybottle of it in my kitchen and spray everything down after cooking like cooktops, knives, cutting boards and everything else that doesnt go in the dishwasher .

1 US fluid ounce = 6 US teaspoons

I do 1/4 ounce to 5 quarts which is 1.5 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon) to 5 quarts. It works well for me because the pot I put it in when I make it is 5 quarts :D

i use an old syringe. it's easier to measure out a precise amount. 1 oz = 30 ml. a gallon takes 6 ml. i have an old lysol spray bottle that is 22 oz and 1 ml of starsan added to it. i wrote the numbers on the bottle so i don't have to look it up when i forget.

Back