Trouble with Brew target, mash setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onipar

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble setting up the mash in Brew Target.
I think I'm doing everything correctly, but it keeps giving me a strike water temp of 177 degrees, which seems way off to me.

I tried following the "how to" manual, but I still get that 177 strike temp for mash.

I click on the blue + under "mash tab and enter the following:

Type: infusion
Target Temp: 152 F
Infuse Amount: I leave blank because I then use the Mash Wiz to calculate it.
Infuse temp: I let Mash Wiz calculate
Time: 1 hour
Temp lag time: I leave blank (not sure what this is?)
End temp: I leave this at 32 F, but I'm not entirely sure what it is, or if I should change it. Maybe this is my problem?

I hit "Okay," then I do the Mash Wiz and enter 1.25 qt/lb.

It gives me the 177 strike water for both the mash and the sparge...

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? :mug:

It is telling you 177 + heat lost to grain and mashtun = 152 target temp.

The sparge temp is probably that high because it is trying to get you up to "mash out" temps.

FWIW, I leave the entire mash section blank and just use the mash wiz button. The volumes and temps I get have always given me the correct target results as far as temp and volume are concerned.

I THINK that the temp lag time is referring to how long you need to wait until the temperature in your mash tun has equalized.

I just thought the 177 seemed high. I usually see people use strike water around 165 for a 152 mash... I thought maybe I entered something wrong.

But that's sort of what seems wrong. It says to use 177 degree water to bring the original mash to 152, but then the same temp water (177), to bring it up to 165 for sparge?

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll try using only the mash wiz as you described.

It is telling you 177 + heat lost to grain and mashtun = 152 target temp.

The sparge temp is probably that high because it is trying to get you up to "mash out" temps.

FWIW, I leave the entire mash section blank and just use the mash wiz button. The volumes and temps I get have always given me the correct target results as far as temp and volume are concerned.

I THINK that the temp lag time is referring to how long you need to wait until the temperature in your mash tun has equalized.

Well, I did something wrong, I just don't know what...

I downloaded the rail of Beer Smith, entered the same info, and got a strike water temp of 165 F, which seems more likely than 177 F. Either way, it's a huge difference.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

Well, I did something wrong, I just don't know what...

I downloaded the rail of Beer Smith, entered the same info, and got a strike water temp of 165 F, which seems more likely than 177 F. Either way, it's a huge difference.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

It likely has to do with either your equipment setup or the temperature of the grains you entered when you setup the mash schedule. I would check to make sure the specific temp of your mashtun is approximately correct and the weight is mostly correct.

Mik

It likely has to do with either your equipment setup or the temperature of the grains you entered when you setup the mash schedule. I would check to make sure the specific temp of your mashtun is approximately correct and the weight is mostly correct.

Mik

Great, I'll double check those numbers. Thanks!

Back