Boddingtons Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
Just mixed up my yeast starter for my Boddingtons Pub Ale clone from AHS. I'm stoked as this is one of my all time favorite beers. My buddy the liquor store owner stopped carrying it so this is my way of getting back my beer. It's going to be tough waiting for this one to condition :)

;)

All joking aside, don't worry about the "nitro", just shoot for a low carbonation level. Nitro is used to mimic that in serving situations that cannot use a handpump, and so therefore cannot truly serve "real" ale-like carb levels.

There was never any nitro in it when I used to drink it in pubs in the 80s in the Midlands.

The nitro makes a nice creamy head, but was not traditionally in the beer.

;)

All joking aside, don't worry about the "nitro", just shoot for a low carbonation level. Nitro is used to mimic that in serving situations that cannot use a handpump, and so therefore cannot truly serve "real" ale-like carb levels.

Thanks...cans with the nitro "widget" is the only way I've had it. Thanks also for the low carb advice, would not have known otherwise.

There was never any nitro in it when I used to drink it in pubs in the 80s in the Midlands.

The nitro makes a nice creamy head, but was not traditionally in the beer.

Would love to have it fresh like that....

If you want a nice thick head on it, go with one of the creamer faucets (Perlick 575)... Otherwise, carb it up (sugar or gas) and enjoy it.

I made a Boddington clone a while back. Used a recipe I found online. A brew-buddy of mine did a side-by-side comparison of mine and the original. While the original had a better head on it, and was lighter in color, mine won in flavor and carbonation (it had what felt like the right level of carbonation)... I might brew it again, once I have some 575 faucets installed... :D

If you want a nice thick head on it, go with one of the creamer faucets (Perlick 575)... Otherwise, carb it up (sugar or gas) and enjoy it.

I made a Boddington clone a while back. Used a recipe I found online. A brew-buddy of mine did a side-by-side comparison of mine and the original. While the original had a better head on it, and was lighter in color, mine won in flavor and carbonation (it had what felt like the right level of carbonation)... I might brew it again, once I have some 575 faucets installed... :D

Thanks! I'm ready to brew this in the morning!

I made a Boddington clone a while back. Used a recipe I found online. A brew-buddy of mine did a side-by-side comparison of mine and the original. While the original had a better head on it, and was lighter in color, mine won in flavor and carbonation (it had what felt like the right level of carbonation).

Any chance of a recipe. I've tried a couple of times; made good beer, but not what I was after.

Any chance of a recipe. I've tried a couple of times; made good beer, but not what I was after.

5 gallon batch (~5.25 into fermenter)
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.020
Color: 9.1 SRM

Boil time: 90 minutes

9# Pale Malt, Maris Otter
.5# British Crystal Malt I (45 SRM)
.5# British Crystal Malt II (65 SRM)
1.0oz Fuggles (4.00% AA) 60 min
0.50oz EKG (5.00% AA) 60 min
0.25oz Fuggles (4.00% AA) 15 min
0.25oz EKG (5.00% AA) 15 min
0.25oz EKG (5.00% AA) 3 min

Yeast: Wyeast Labs #1084 (Irish Ale)

Mash at 158 for 90 minutes

If/when I brew it again, I'll probably mash at 154F for 90 minutes. I would also use more of the BCMI over the BCMII malt. The recipe I used as a base had 55 SRM Caramel malt in it, which I didn't (and still don't) have.

This was my 7th brew that I made, at the end of January.

5 gallon batch (~5.25 into fermenter)
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.020
Color: 9.1 SRM

Boil time: 90 minutes

9# Pale Malt, Maris Otter
.5# British Crystal Malt I (45 SRM)
.5# British Crystal Malt II (65 SRM)
1.0oz Fuggles (4.00% AA) 60 min
0.50oz EKG (5.00% AA) 60 min
0.25oz Fuggles (4.00% AA) 15 min
0.25oz EKG (5.00% AA) 15 min
0.25oz EKG (5.00% AA) 3 min

Yeast: Wyeast Labs #1084 (Irish Ale)

Mash at 158 for 90 minutes

If/when I brew it again, I'll probably mash at 154F for 90 minutes. I would also use more of the BCMI over the BCMII malt. The recipe I used as a base had 55 SRM Caramel malt in it, which I didn't (and still don't) have.

Thanks. I'll have to wait a while. I don't have any EKG, and I don't think Styrian's is a good sub. I buy my hops in bulk; they will go to the top of the list, but it will be a while yet.

I just saw this after I cruised for some Boddington's Clones as a buddy of mine loves it, and I won't lie I like it but I don't love it.

Anyway here's what I came up with and I'm hoping it comes out decent.

4.5# Pale 6 Row
1# Toasted 6 Row (bake in oven for 30 minutes at 275 flip it over at 15 minutes)
.5# Brown Sugar
.5# Cara Foam
.5# Crystal 40L
1# Flaked Barley
1.5 oz UK Goldings bittering hops
1 oz for 5 minutes flavoring hops

I used WYeast London III #1318

Mash in 60 minutes @155F
did a run of the mill sparge with 175F water
Did full boil for 60 and added the hops as noted above.

The color is SPOT ON!!! That was the most noticeable thing about it. Other than that though, I'm going to add another pound of 6 row next time as this one's OG was a little on the low side at 1.041. Thankfully the London III is a high attentuation yeast and will get me a lower FG I'll pray for 4.2% ABV.

I'm still debating on the carbonation though. I know I need to do a mild carbonation so i guess I'll just cut the priming sugar back.

Any suggestions as I do bottle condition?

Back