Alcohol Content?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast [SIZE=-1](WLP775)
[/SIZE]

I just took this from my secondary and put into my bottling bucket as I was going to put into a third carboy for clearing, but my SG is 1.008. You think that is okay to go ahead and bottle?

My next question is what do you think the alcohol content is in this as it is very strong tasting and not that much of a flavor of apple/pear anymore. When I racked to secondary, it was very tasty....now tastes like alcohol and that's it. HELP!!!!!! :drunk:

Can I add more flavor to this before bottling or is it just doomed to be very high in alcohol and a drink to make everyone drunk......:D

Unless someone you know has a problem with sulfites, kill the yeast with campden tables, add another can of apple concentrate, then bottle.

Cider will mellow, if you can wait 6 months or so.

My friend Tom likes to load up his cider with sugar, so, it hits 10-11% ABV. Rather harsh.

Okay, that sounds cool......now, maybe I am a dummy here, but if you kill the yeast, how would it get carbonation when bottling?

Thanks

It wouldn't. That's the trade-off: residual sweetness or carbonation. You would have to force carbonate and bottle with a counterfill gun.

So what if I would just add some more apple juice to my brew right before bottling? Would I have exploding bottles or what? I need some flavor I think.....:D

Back