Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Imperial Rye India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyeIIPAgeoff

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
White Labs California Ale V
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2x vials White Labs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
very dark amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 68F
Tasting Notes
strong cascade hop aroma followed by full malty flavors with a bitter smokey finish
Grain Bill:
6lbs Amber LME (Briess) (half at knockout)
2lbs Plain Light DME (Muton's)
0.25lbs Plain Amber DME (Muton's)
16oz Caramel 60L
8oz Aromatic
4oz Chocolate Rye
4oz Melanoidin
16 oz flaked Rye
(all specialty grains steeped at 155F for 30min)

Hops:
1oz Chinook (60min)
1oz Columbus (30min)
1oz Cascade (10min)
1.5oz Cascade leaf (5min)
1oz Cascade leaf dry hopping in secondary for 7 days

Notes:
1.5tsp Irish moss added 15min pre-knockout

I have been extract brewing for about 18 months. I want to upgrade to All-grain, but funds are a bit tight, so I do the best I can with specialty grains and LME.

This is the second attempt at an Imperial RyePA, focusing on my preference for Cascade hops and overwhelming body. I would characterize the beer as very full bodied, significant cascade hop grapefruit aroma complimented by a bitter, deep dark chocolate malt backbone. It tends to strike the palate with gusto, so beware! The bitterness is strong, a lasting aftertaste that I may try to reduce in subsequent batches and likely a result of too much flaked rye. I understand I do not get full rye utilization without conversion in a primary mash, but I may do a partial mash soon. I recommend this brew for hoppy rye beer loves or even Roggenbier lovers looking for a hoppier solution to the typical German recipe.

Im still an extract brewer too, but want to do a rye. How would you compare flaked rye vs breiss rye malt for steeping?

Hi Cavman22,

I would suggest starting with flaked rye for a subtler flavor. It is easy to steep, very cheap, does not affect color or consistency (too much), does not need to be crushed, and does not have the smokey flavor of some highly kilned ryes. Be warned that it will get sticky and absorb a significant amount of water during your steeping, so be prepared to add additional make up water while starting the boil.

Why do I make this recommendation? This a good question that deserves a fair answer. In brief, flaked rye gets the flavor in without needing to mash. Although I would not consider myself a seasoned professional, the issue has to do with rye malt having very low diastatic power. As such, rye malt (and flaked rye too for that matter) does not self-convert and really should be included in an all-grain multi-rest (better yet decoction) mash to extract fermentables. Because I am not doing this, I consider extract beers to be more 'rye flavored' than actually true rye brews, but acceptable considering certain limitations. The flaked rye imparts significant rye flavor profile with a small amount of material without adding fermentables because the starches have already 'polymerized' or congealed during pressing. You may find this thread interesting too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/flaked-rye-vs-rye-malt-6520/

Remember to balance the rye flavor with more malt extract! It may have a bitter finish otherwise. I also, personally, like using the slightly sour, fruity profile of cascade hops to balance the finish with pronounced hoppiness while avoiding overwhelming bitterness.

I hope this helps!

Hi Ginger,

I used White Labs WLP051 California Ale V yeast, two vials worth.

Good luck!

Back