help me turn apple cider to wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedeerslaya

Reaction score
hello, new to the forum from south carolina. just recently fell into the hobby of homebrew wines. have completed a 5 gallon batch of scuppernong/muscadine wine which taste great. did everything from picking the grapes to stomping them with my feet and finally drinking a nice 10-11% wine.

i really enjoyed the process and it looks like i have a new hobby.

i also have 5 gallons of "welches" wine fermenting right now.

so on to my question. this weekend i am going to be in North Carolina and its apple picking season. originally i planned on buying a bushel of apples, pressing the juice out, and making some apple wine. i called the orchard and found out that a bushel of apples costs 34 dollars but they also sell fresh 100% cider from their orchard for 7 dollars a gallon. so to speed the process up im going to pick up 5 gallons of 100% cider.

my question is, will starting with cider instead of apple juice create a more flavorfull wine or will i be wasting money at 7 bucks a gallon when it wont end up any different than if i used regular grocery store apple juice.

i have tried a friends aphelwein or how ever you spell it, and while i thought it was good, it lacked the flavor that i was expecting. i was hoping that the cider would leave a little more flavor after the fermentation process.

also, im planning on using brown sugar instead of white sugar, and maybe adding a little bit of cinnamon to the batch.

and my last question is, how high of a SG should i shoot for? i want to make the wine as "alcoholic" as possible, but dont know where the happy medium is. hoping to end up with something around 11-13% ABV, but not sure if that would be too strong after tasting my friends aphelwein. (his was about 6%)

other than cider,sugar,campden tabs, and yeast, is there anything i need to add to it? yeast nutrient? acid blend?

any comments/pointers/recipe/help would be appreciated.

thanks!

I have little experience fermenting apple cider/juice but I would rather go with the cider than apple juice. Especially if you get it fresh from the orchard. Make sure to pick up some pectic enzyme because there is a fair amount of pectin in apple cider that should be broken down for better clarity in the finished product. Add your camden and 12-24 hours later pitch your pectic enzyme and then 12-24 hours from there finally pitch yeast. Another thing is that apples have higher levels of Malic acid so if you want a less tart and more fruity wine then I might recommend using Lalvin 71B yeast since it does metabolize some of the malic acid.

Made some from 7 Springs Apple Orchard in Hendersonville a few years ago. Nothing special, just follow a good recipe (got mine in the purple book). I presented a bottle to the owners the next year and he put on his counter next to the cash register.

The wine was a little thin and I added a can of apple concentrate before stabilizing and bottling. Tthat was just enough.

I use apple cider to make apple wine. It is far superior to the apple juice you find in the store imho. I add enough sugar to bring the sg to 1.090. I normally use EC-1118 yeast. a teaspoon of tannin, 5 tsp yeast nutrient, 1 tsp yeast energizer and 2 tsp acid blend. Let it age a few months racking every two months or so after the first rack. One of my favorite wines to make and it is so easy.

I have done Ed Worts Apfelwine with EC-1118. When it finished I added Sorbate and Kmeta then back sweetened with another gallon of cider...then kegged it to carb...it is very popular and I'm almost out.

ugh... i made a newbie mistake...... my recipe called for 2.5 tsp of acid blend per 5 gallon batch. somehow i read it wrong and was thinking that was for a gallon batch. i ended up putting in 5 tsp instead of 2.5..... essentially doubling the acid blend in the recipe.

the cider i started with was pretty sweet, didnt really have any acidic taste at all. how will adding twice as much recommended acid blend effect my wine in the end?

man i hope i didnt ruin this batch.

ugh... i made a newbie mistake...... my recipe called for 2.5 tsp of acid blend per 5 gallon batch. somehow i read it wrong and was thinking that was for a gallon batch. i ended up putting in 5 tsp instead of 2.5..... essentially doubling the acid blend in the recipe.

the cider i started with was pretty sweet, didnt really have any acidic taste at all. how will adding twice as much recommended acid blend effect my wine in the end?

man i hope i didnt ruin this batch.

It might be just fine- acid blend provides tartness. It might be a bit too tart, but probably not. That's not really very much in 5 gallons.

i mis-typed. i meant 5 Table spoons.....which is alot more than 5 teaspoons..... i have been researching on here that backsweetening can take care of some of the bitterness if its too acidic, and i had planned on back sweetening anyway, and also aging can remove some bitterness, so hopefully i can still salvage it.

Back