Priming sugar and raspberry wheat.... Problems???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. I'm new here and brewed my first batch of beer. I'm looking for some help as I just bottled my first batch this past Saturday. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Sooo, I purchased a "Thomas coopers" wheat extract kit and a raspberry extract.

I fermented for a week to the day.

I add a cup of corn sugar to my "botteling" fermentor

I moved my brew from the fermented to the "botteling"(?) fermentor.

And then I bottle.

My brew is added to my botteling fermentor with care trying to prevent bubbles and air to the brew. I position my syphon to make a sort of vortex to help stir in the corn sugar.

I go to cap my bottles, they're all capped and I notice there is still some corn sugar sitting in the bottom of my five. Prob well less than 1/4 cup.

I am hoping to put a bottle in Friday and taste it... And enjoy it...

I really don't think thAT will happen though....

I'm expecting an under flavor, under carbonated beer.... Even after letting sit for two weeks.

Basically I'm asking... Is another week of fermenting in a bottle going to help?

Also a heads up... The reason I added straight corn surgar as primer and didn't add a little water and boil was because a local told me to add a cup of corn surgar to the "botteling" fermentor since I was botteling a mixture of 12oz. And 22oz.

Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I'm just looking for a dumbies guide for making brew at this point, I don't know beer brewing terms and lingo... I just know(halfass) to boil the water, add the extract, add to bucket of cold water, and add yeast.... I know.... Sad but true.

I'm looking to get into hefis and dopple bock style beers. Any links you can provide me with as well as a description would be awesom.

Also to add... My hopes down the road will to be to brew a "shock top" style raspberry wheat. That's the flavor I'm shooting for. I litterally just need directions for super dumbies.

OK. Wasilla huh? A little too coherent to be Sarah Palin, so I'll help.

I feel like you've gotten some bad info. Ideally you'd let your beer ferment for more than a week. 3-4 weeks in your primary would be just fine. If you bottle it before it's done fermenting you can have bottles literally blow up. Your hydrometer is your friend. I thought it was useless in the beginning but now I've seen the light. There's no other way to know where your beer is at.

So you bottled after a week and these have been sitting bottled for 2 weeks now? Regardless of whether you got all the priming sugar in I'd be terrified of bottles blowing up. I'd get these bad boys in the fridge asap.

You might just want to pop the tops and re-cap them. The flavor shouldn't be impacted a whole lot from the priming sugar mishap but who knows where you were at with fermentation when you bottled.

My biggest concern now would be bottle bombs. Fridge em up and drink quick or pop em and re-cap. I'm no expert though so I'd advise you search for threads related to bottle bombs and bottling too early.

Palin aside... Beer is the matter... NOT palin. The beer fermented for a week and has now been in bottles for 4 days. Idk what to do... I know I want to drink it... If it's anything near halfway decent. Lol

That's what Palin would say if she had potential bottle bombs! :p

In all seriousness, I'd be very concerned about bottles blowing up. If you still had a decent amount of fermentation left + some priming sugar, I'm guessing that you may end up creating much more CO2 in those bottles than you'd like.

Flavor should be fine but very green. I just don't know that you'll have the luxury of aging these beers at all. Re-capping may be an option. Drinking them quickly may be an option. As I said, I'm no uber pro and have never bottled after a week (I did bottle after 2 once because a friend needed them quickly and we had a bottle bomb so I fridged everything).

For next time I'd say go 2-3 in primary at least just to be safe, and to make better beer.

Have you tried opening one to see what the CO2 level is like?

I have not cracked any bottles open. I will def throw one in the fridge and check it out later today when I get back home. Next time I will def wait two-three weeks before bottling.

I was watching a video on YouTube about priming sugar... The guy had a cup of corn sugar and added enough water to just barley raise above the sugar level. He then microwaved it for just under a minute making sure not to bring to boil, then dumped that into the botteling fermentor. Does this sound like it would work out ok

Um, a CUP of sugar? That is way too much to prime the Beer (assuming a 5 gallon batch). Fermentation finishing aside, you are at risk for heavily carbonated beers, and maybe bottle bombs.

I also don't see how boiling the sugar "doesn't matter since you were using different size bottles." The sugar water would get mixed in the same way as the dry sugar, you would just be able to ensure it was sterile.

Not you *Might* be at risk for infected bottle and bottle bombs as well.

I would greatly suggest reading How to Brew by John Palmer. It is availible for free online at HowtoBrew.com !

Well, I cracked one open and drank it. It actually was not half bad. It was half way decent. A little tart, but ok. I am now debating removing caps from all the bottles and recapping. Any thoughts or suggestions to try and half way save the beer? Lol

Oh wow... I really don't like to badmouth a fellow brewer,and im not, but this is noobism beyond anything I've experienced... lol. Sorry. Ive had a little brew myself tonight. A cup of priming sugar is going to give you like 5 bars of pressure which combined with beer that likely has a few points to shed, is going to blow your bottles up unless you happened to be using champagne bottle, which you didn't. But likely, since you didn't dissolve the sugar, you will get some bottles that are flat, some that are perfect(like 3), and some bottles that will explode! The good news is, cleaning up the beer and broken glass will make a big impression on you, and you will never do this again. And that's the beauty of brewing! Making mistakes and learning from them :) im glad we got to have this little talk. Welcome to HBT :mug: were all a quart low around here :)

Back