IIPA Thor's Hammered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
Another recipe I came up with, very simple as you can see. My test batch ( Test Subject Paco) came out great, just not enough pineyness. That was a 2.5 gallon, this is a 5 gallon. Here's the recipe:

6.6 lbs amber lme
1lb light dme
1lb 40 crystal
1 lb corn sugar
S-05 yeast
Centennial hops- 1 oz at 60, .5 oz at 15 and 5
Simcoe hops- .5oz at.60, .5 at 15, 1 oz at 5. Dry hop whole hops 2 oz.
Citra- .5 oz at 5 and 1 min. Dry hops .5 oz.

This is dry hopping right now. OG is 1.075 and FG is 1.013. It finished lower than expected. 8.1% so that's a nice beer ready around Thanksgiving.

My lhbs guy have me whole leaf hops for the dry hop (simcoe), so that's a new one for me. The citra was just left overs I added for a little citrus aroma to compliment the pine. My sample was good, but like the last ipa I made, it gets way better.

The name, although I love making up names, is a name made up for a contest I ran to get half of this batch. This guy picked a great name, so he'll be enjoying some good ipa in November.

This is my 5th batch, and I saved some yeast to harvest for my next batch. I scooped a good amount that's hanging out in a Pyrex container in the fridge.

And now for the pics. :)

ForumRunner_20121021_203926.png

ForumRunner_20121021_203908.jpg

Why did you use a pound of corn sugar instead of some more dme or LME? Looks like a good brew, and I do like the name. I can never come up with good original names...

John

Did you use a yeast starter or just dry yeast? How did you get pine flavors (from the simcoe perhaps? Never heard of those hops)?

I used corn sugar to dry it out a bit, get a lower FG. I read in all the different recipes people you dextrose for that reason.

I used the dry safeale-05, I just sprinkled it right on top, no rehydrating.

The simcoe hops were used for more pine. The lhbs guy recommended them, and that's what I figured he would choose.
The citra used abundantly last time made the IIPA a citrus bomb, super good, but not what I was going for. My experiments taste good at least!

I bottled this just now. We got out of work early, so I had a friend over to show him how to do it. I have him a sample, and he liked it, as did I. Nose still had that grapefruit, citrus, but also the pine which I was looking for. The taste is the same, very smooth as its flat and non carbonated. Just enough bitterness, though it could use a bit more. Color is great, a nice copper. The whole hops clogged the bottling wand, but only at the last bottle. I'll probably stick to pellets from now on. Plus they soaked up a bunch of liquid. The smell was awesome when I opened the carboy airlock.
I'll try a bottle probably Friday, as I'm too anxious. They're meant to drink fresh, right!?

ForumRunner_20121029_174138.png

Back