What did i do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So i just brewed a stout or better thought i did. When I was finished the color was more of a brown ale and a light brown ale at that. I added my grains to cool water and let it reach 170 before I removed them took about 25min. If it's not a stout what is it? A brown ale? here is the recipe

.5# roasted barley
.5# black patent
.5# flaked barley

7# plain light dme

1 oz cluster-60
.5 oz east kent goldings-45
.5 oz east kent goldings-15
.5 oz east kent goldings-5

1oz licroice root-15
irish moss-15

that's surprising with the amounts of roast malt you used. did you crush the grains first?

that's surprising with the amounts of roast malt you used. did you crush the grains first?

That's the only thing I could think of as well. Did you actually "steep" them like you would tea, or just throw them in and walk away?

Yes they were crushed. I did steep them like tea as well. I can't figure out why my color is not darker. Granted it still smells great and i think it will work out. I just can't understand why the color is so brown

So after I got the wort into the primary and took my test sample it was darker then I thought. Still not as dark as a stout but more like a porter maybe. It has a very dark ruby red color. Strange it looked very brown in the brew pot.

That wasn't a heck of a long time to steep them. That MIGHT be the culprit. Plus your grains are sitting in an ideal temperature for an even shorter time. My $0.02 would be to go ahead and heat your water to 165 or so, pop your cold grains in and let it steep (or some process like that).

Good to hear it's tasty!

If I am reading it right, you put the grains in cool water and then started heating it up..as soon as they reached 170 degrees you took the grains out of the water? if that is correct I THINK that is the issue. I have only done one steeped grain recipe but I was told to steep them for an hour in hot ( 152+- ) for an hour.

Back