Need to Boost the Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made a small batch of ginger cider with California Ale yeast. Still in the fermenter, tasted and measured it tonight - its close to being ready to bottle, either tomorrow or Friday. I added thinly sliced fresh ginger with the cider to the fermenter, but found today that while I could taste a little undercurrent of ginger, I think i want to boost it. Since I can't really make a ginger/vodka tincture at this point (not enough time), I'm thinking that I'll slice up some more ginger and boil it in a small pot of water try to extract the ginger-y goodness that way, and add it to the cider when i'm ready to bottle.

Does that sound reasonable? Or any other ideas?

Ginger is a funny ingredient to work with, in many ways like chilis. Your first sips/tastes always seem subdued....but they tend to accumulate on the palate as the drink goes by.

You could always boil some ginger powder.

I'd just boil up some ginger tea and add that. I make ginger tea all the time and treat it like hops as far as the boil goes. Add 80-90% up front and boil for an hour - this gives the heat and the bite. Add the rest 5 min before flameout for finishing.

Thanks Stupor. This is cider, not beer, so no flameout, but I get the point. Ginger tea is another idea I'd not thought of - thanks!

Back