A Successful Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB

Reaction score
I just took my seven day gravity reading of the Northern Brewer Saison kit I brewed last weekend. It started out at 1.052 and was hovering at 1.011, which I think is just fine. And of course I tasted the sample. I'm pleased with the fact that it exhibits the characteristics associated with a saison--citrusy, especially in the orange area, a little clove, some pepperiness as well. It's by far the most distinctive beer I've brewed in my short career and I'm very happy with the result thus far. I'll be racking it to a secondary in the next couple days and let it clear for a few weeks before bottling (my first time using a secondary, btw).

How long should a beer like this condition in the bottle before it's ready to drink? The kit says three months total time, so that would be just over two months in the bottle. Sound about right?

The kit came with the Wyeast #3522 Belgian Ardennes yeast. The average temperature during fermentation has been around 75. But that was the temperature on the bucket, so I imagine the actual fermentation temperature was a bit higher.

Latest posts

Back