Sulfite before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inner10

Reaction score
Normally I add sulfites to my wine before bottling to help preserve it, should I do the same with my mead?

How necessary is sulfiting?

I want to keep my mead as chemical free as possible, what could happen if sulfites aren't added?

Well since it has antimicrobial effects as well as doubling as an antioxidant, you will be more susceptible to contamination and cardboard flavors, imo both very important when you consider a mead aging for years.

Just because some "chemical" has the power to prevent bacterial growth, it doesn't mean it has be treated like some poisonous pesticide, a common theme with some of the xenophobes on here.

If you're hypersensitive to sulfur, then yea that's one thing, but there's a good reason that the sulfiting process has taken place in one form or another for hundreds of years.

In the end it's your mead and you're entitled to go about it however you please :)

I'm also curious about this. (Not to hijack) does anyone produce good mead, aged for any length of time, with no added chemicals?

My meads have been one year no Chem's but 18 months and I get off flavors. Usually on fruit meads or melomels

If you're hypersensitive to sulfur, then yea that's one thing, but there's a good reason that the sulfiting process has taken place in one form or another for hundreds of years.

Yeah, after 1 or 2 glasses of wine I have a pounding headache. I was told that it's probably due to sulfites and haven't had any issues drinking a bottle of my mead with no campden.

I guess if I was storing it for years this might be an issue but I can't see any of it lasting that long...

Over the course of my life I've gotten drunk countless times and most of the mornings after involved a splitting head ache anyway...so I'm not too concerned. I plan on keeping this batch for a while so I'l toss in a few camden tabs.

Cheers lads!

Well with dialysis patients they take to Much fluid off the body and they get sick like a hang over IV have been drinking 20 oz of water before bed after a night of drinking and have noticed that the next day I feel fine....

http://guides.wsj.com/wine/wine-tips-and-tricks/why-do-i-get-headaches-from-wine/

Tl;dr
Sulfites are now known to be innocent in the headache mystery, however we still don't know the exact answer to the problem. It's likely to be a combination of things, as is so often the case when dealing with human physiology.

Thanks for the article, interesting stuff.

I should have clarified that the headache occurs instantly, not the next morning...

I'll try an experiment next time I bottle, adding campden to one bottle and nothing to the rest, see if it effects me.

Back