KegConnection Vs Midwest kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
KegConnection and Midwest Supplies both have a basic 4 keg setup with picnic taps. I'd eventually like to go all Perlicks and maybe some secondary regulators, but in the meanwhile, I can get started and add on when I have some extra cash (hah!)

I found the following kits on each site. Can anyone figure out what the difference between the two are, other than KegConnection being $50 more expensive? I dont mind paying more if I'm truly getting more...

4 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses Four kegs at once! (Seperate Check Valves!)
Brew Logic Quadruple Tap Draft System with 4-way gas manifold :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I'm guessing, at the minimum, I would also need at least one secondary regulator so I could force carb a new batch while up to 3 others are on tap?

Give the guys at midwest a call! I am sure someone on the phone would be happy to ajust the kit you are looking at, and get you a 2 regulator setup with a 3-way manifold, or whatever setup you want. I talked to them Friday before placing my order, and they were happy to make some changes their readymade systems to fit my request.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7739
Plus 2 kegs and a 3way manifold sound like exactly what you are looking for.

I found that Midwest offered this kit for the same price as Keg Connection's 1 regilator kit (all other things were identical)

with 4 kegs on tap, even a single regulator should be fine, with the "Set it and Forget it" method

If it were me, I'd likely buy the parts seperate and just build it like I wanted for not that much more the first time. That being said, with what it sounds like you are planning to do, replace both the faucets and add a secondary multi-way regulator, I would presonally get the Midwest one. I am sure someone will say something different though so take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

Both kits seem about the same to me. Keg connection gives you new gaskets so you can "recondition" the kegs. Midwest apparently has already "reconditioned" them for you??

While a secondary regulator is a nice feature, you can get by w/out one. Basicly before retiring for the night, shut off the three kegs you are serving and just up the pressure on the keg you are force carbing once the keg is chilled. Doing this will give a jump start to carbing the new keg.

Kegconnection. Regulators are better brand and I've seen way too many Help threads from folks with midwest setups lately.

i have seen a bunch of threads about midwest regulator issues as well. i still bought the two ked two reg kit and im happy to report no problems. i think you'll be good with either kit but the fact that midwest had the duel regs is what sold me

Just for grins and giggles, I put both items in my carts and wanted to figure out shipping. Shipping was $42 from KC and $29 from Midwest. So there's another price difference.

Jesse just has me worried (ok not really that worried) that the regulator on the Midwest kit is inferior. Jesse, any reason why you think the Midwest one isn't as good? Is that due to some complaints on the board?

I don't have much experience for comparison but I thought the Midwest regulator was of very good quality. I have had zero issues with mine.

Order sets of gaskets for each of your kegs. Peace of mind for $2. Also you might consider asking for 8' lines instead of 5'. I wish I had.

The price of the Midwest system swayed me in their favor.

Only what I have seen in this forum, Taprite is the regulator from kegconnection. You should be able to find some reviews for the other. I just think its weird that there's been quite a few threads lately with issues with some of the midwest kits, however I dont recall the issue. I think one was the check valve. This kit vs kegconnection kit threads are all over the place you might seek those out.

I've dealt with kegconnection 5 times over the last 6 months. Each time I felt I got very personalized service. I mean they new my name when I called. THey came to my work and my home to deliver goods. 2 times they sent the wrong stuff(small things), each time they corrected it and let me keep the other item. They do custom orders and work with you. My 2 cents.

Just placed my second order with kegconnection. Can't go wrong with them.

Rather than just saying "+1", I would like to share my whole hearted support of using Kegconnection. They were more than willing to work with me, and spent the time answering my dumb numb questions. I think it (my keg setup) turned out much better than it would have without some help.

My experience with Keg Connection

I just got some kegging gear: two tap system minus kegs, upgraded to the new Perlick's and my order arrived rapidly. I spoke with Ben and there were no problems with my order.

I called to place my order after he responded to my request for an email quote and he didn't answer and i didn't leave a message...within maybe 10-15 minutes he called back and we discussed my order!

I would do business with these guys again.

Cheers.

+1 on kegconnection

Great bunch of guys. Got my two keg, dual pressure system w. 10# CO2 tank from them.
Really good service and always ready to help.

Hommel Homebrew

+1 on keg connection.

As I recall, the kegs are already cleaned and reconditioned AND come with an extra set of O-rings.

I have never ordered from keg connection but I have had great experiences with Midwest. Everything was shipped as described, the kegs are as good as the ones I've received from any vendor. I didnt have a problem with my regulator, but it seems that others have (not many though, it seems.)

I say Midwest FTW

but it seems that others have (not many though, it seems.)
I say Midwest FTW

I picked Midwest. $50 less after shipping and all for the same setup.

When 1 person has a bad experience, they seem to make it out like it was a nightmare.
I suspect every Midwest Regulator issue i have seen was resolved either over the phone, or with a replacement regulator. OR the customer didn't give them a chance to resolve the issue.
(I also suspect less than 5% of customers have had any issue, otherwise, they wouldn't be as popular as they are)

I picked Midwest. $50 less after shipping and all for the same setup.

When 1 person has a bad experience, they seem to make it out like it was a nightmare.
I suspect every Midwest Regulator issue i have seen was resolved either over the phone, or with a replacement regulator. OR the customer didn't give them a chance to resolve the issue.
(I also suspect less than 5% of customers have had any issue, otherwise, they wouldn't be as popular as they are)

Yeah, the price difference + shipping is $50-60 for similar kits and other than one guy saying the regulator was better (I think Jesse based it on one guy having difficulties), what is the real difference between the setup? What warrants such a price difference? Are we saying its like BestBuy has a 60 inch Sony Bravia for $1500 more than the 60 inch Fujitsu at 6th Ave electronics?

It's great that everyone loves Kegconnection (and there are a bunch that seem to have had a good experience with MidWest), but no one's really been able to give actual proof that the Midwest kit is junk. I've got no problem spending the money at KC, but I want it to really be for a reason (ie: it really a better regulator, not just because a guy got a bum one from MW). The UPS shipping is cheaper at MW than the FedEx at KC (UPS/FedEx interchange as necessary, MW was cheaper shipping).

So, I'm not really moved in either direction. Not convinced to spend the extra money at KC and still a hair worried about a lesser quality kit at MW, but not enough to pull the trigger either way...

If you wait until this weekend, I will have my new Midwest Dual Regulator Kit, and be putting a batch of beer in it! So you will have another review.

I like your Sony vs Fujitsu analogy. That seems about the best way to look at it. The Fujitsu is not as nice as the Sony, but as long as both vendors stand behind their product, save some money! I have not heard of anyone having ANY issues with the customer service at KC or MW. Any post i have found regarding a product issue ended with great customer service either way.

One other note about the Midwest kit. They are phasing out the refurbished steel CO2 tanks, and including New Aluminum CO2 tanks for the same price. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=8083
"For a limited time, we are offering the Aluminum CO2 tank system at the Reconditioned Steel CO2 tank system price! A $25 freebie! "

I'll put in a vote for Midwest. I have one of their two pressure regulators and one of their single gauge, economy regulators. I haven't had any problems with either one and I'm completely new to kegging and dealing with CO2 in general. I would say the worst thing about their regulators is that they adjust pressure using a screw rather than the knob that the Micromatic regulators use, but I think the screw is much more common anyway.

So far, I've bought nearly all my equipment and ingredients from them because it's ended up being cheapest even with paying actual shipping charges. Also, I have no LHBS. They've been helpful when I've called with questions and haven't minded adding or removing items to an already placed order. Everything has been packed and shipped well and they quickly sent a replacement when the hydrometer I ordered arrived broken.

Even if you happen to get a bum regulator (probably not likely), they'll make it right with little/no hassle.

The UPS shipping is cheaper at MW than the FedEx at KC (UPS/FedEx interchange as necessary, MW was cheaper shipping).

So, I'm not really moved in either direction. Not convinced to spend the extra money at KC and still a hair worried about a lesser quality kit at MW, but not enough to pull the trigger either way...

Just a correction... Kegconnection uses UPS, not Fedex... small detail but to comment on your situation.... Kegconnection has exceptional quality components at prices that are made affordable. I looked at the midwest kit and without a picture, I can't tell you that it's bum compared to KC. But some questions to ask yourself are: Is the regulator industry standard? Is my manifold equipped with checkvalves? Are my kegs in good condition? What kind of clamps are used with my kit?

All these questions could easily explain why there is a price difference. Kegconnection offers answers to all those questions (not midwest) and furthermore, they stand behind their products. Just my opinion....

*EDIT*

I found the PDF with product info

1 Brew Logic Dual Gauge Regulator:
•Fitted with a 5/16” barbed swivel nut and ball check valve
1 Brew Logic 4-way Gas Manifold
•Fitted with four 5/16” barbed ball check shutoff valves
4 Gas Line Assemblies:
•3ʼ of 5/16” I.D. gas line, 5/16” barbed swivel nut, gray threaded ball lock gas disconnect, and two stainless
steel tubing clamps
4 Beer Line Assemblies:
•5ʼ of 3/16” beer line, 1/4” barbed swivel nut, black threaded ball lock liquid disconnect, two stainless steel
tubing clamps, and one picnic tap
4-5 Gallon Reconditioned Corny Kegs
1-5 lb. Reconditioned CO2 Tank (Empty)

The answers were there I just had to look for them! Sorry for my laziness above but from experience I still stand behind Kegconnection, if for anything, their customer service and quality components are bar setting and a true pleasure to do business with. I have never bought anything from Midwest so nothing against them! Also, if you are up in the air due to $, then it seems like Midwest is your choice based on shipping charges... Maybe you should call KC and see if they'll match Midwest's shipping? Worth a try if you can get it!

I just got a two keg / two regulator setup from Midwest. I had some problems at first getting things right, but I just called and they were very helpful over the phone. Everything is all good, and with their prices I would highly recommend them.

Yeah, I apologize if anyone thought I was bashing Midwest. I was not , and I have not ordered from them, I was merely stating what I had been seeing on this forum. The OP was aware of the $50 savings from Midwest, and he wanted to know what the differences were. Well the differences are not obvious, so we'll have to go with subjective comments about the exceptional product and cust service we have recieved from Kegconnection. I do feel the Taprite reg are top notch. Again just my opinion. If you feel this thread got one sided, well it must be because of all the happy KC customers.

Yeah, I apologize if anyone thought I was bashing Midwest. I was not , and I have not ordered from them, I was merely stating what I had been seeing on this forum. The OP was aware of the $50 savings from Midwest, and he wanted to know what the differences were. Well the differences are not obvious, so we'll have to go with subjective comments about the exceptional product and cust service we have recieved from Kegconnection. I do feel the Taprite reg are top notch. Again just my opinion. If you feel this thread got one sided, well it must be because of all the happy KC customers.

I don't think anyone took it as a bash from you. It looks like a 2/3 majority prefer KC, and both produce happy customers. There appear to be a few more issues with the Midwest systems needing to have a componant replaced, but everyone reports that customer service have been happy to make everything right.

Had i done more research, I may have gone with KC rather than Midwest, but the 20% difference in price was huge for me, since i had 1 overtime check as my budget, and KC would have been just over that range. As for shipping, it all depends on location, to my location in Ft Worth, they were within $1 of eachother for shipping costs.

the TV analogy seems to work... it's like buying a Sony from best Buy, or a Fujitsu from Sears. Both are good products, with a difference in quality and price, but both retailors are happy to stand behind their product.

Sorry Jesse if I implied that you were bashing MW, I wasn't thinking that at all.

If my Sony/Fujitsu analogy applies to this situation, then I'd rather order from KC. I'd rather spend more for quality, but I didn't want to buy based on assuming that more expensive meant better quality (even though in this case, it may very well be) .

I may have to email MW to see what exactly is in their kits (since it isn't obvious as KC).

Thanks everyone for all of your experiences with both companies, this has been a big help...

You know I think I'll ask Ben from KegConnection to visit HBT, maybe he can pursuade the owner to make the kits a bit more competive in terms of price. It can't hurt.

Can I throw one more name in the hat? I was happy with the red Taprite regulator that I had which is what KegConnection is selling until I saw an ad for Keg Cowboy's two-gauge "High69" for $33. This 1/2 what Micromatic is selling theirs and I think they have the same model with a split manifold for $40? If you want a little bling on your rig take a look at chrome over brass regulator. Kegerator Conversion Kits & Draft Beer Equipment Oh yeah they come with gauge guards at these prices

Can I throw one more name in the hat? I was happy with the red Taprite regulator that I had which is what KegConnection is selling until I saw an ad for Keg Cowboy's two-gauge "High69" for $33. This 1/2 what Micromatic is selling theirs and I think they have the same model with a split manifold for $40? If you want a little bling on your rig take a look at chrome over brass regulator. Kegerator Conversion Kits & Draft Beer Equipment Oh yeah they come with gauge guards at these prices

Keg Cowboy Kegerators :: Beer CO2 Regulator is the details on that regulator. It looks exactly like the Midwest BrewLogic regulator. The only difference is a on/off valve where Midwest has the Ball Check Valve. I wouldn't be suprised if they come from the same manufacturor.\

On a side note..... my Midwest Brewlogic Dual regulator system just arived at home! SWMBO is to intimidated to open the box before i get home.

Brew Logic Dual Tap Draft System- with Reconditioned CO2 Tank :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies is here! Everything arrived well packaged. Hooked the regulator up to my 20oz paintball tank and pressurized both kegs to 30Lbs. I was unable to hear any leaks. Tomorrow night I am taking my 5LB tank to the local Paintball field who fills for keggers, and racking my Hefe to a keg. One keg seems to have the IN and OUT labels ground off, but a quick peek inside identified which was which, and I wasn't expecting greatness out of reconditioned kegs.

Both kegs were actually pressurized when they arived, so i can be certain that they both have no leaks.

I did order 1oz of Keg Lube and 2 sets of orings to go with it.

and now! I am going to watch my Homebrewing instructional DVD that came free with my order, and see what i have been doing wring all these years!

I went with kegkits.com. Tom, the owner, is very helpful and responsive, and posts frequently to AHA techtalk.

I considered kegconnection, BUT, they do NOT sell stainless shanks. :confused: Everything the touches my beer has to be stainless. The guy from kegconnection offered to order stainless for me, but them not having any told me a lot about them.....

Michael

You know I think I'll ask Ben from KegConnection to visit HBT, maybe he can pursuade the owner to make the kits a bit more competive in terms of price. It can't hurt.

If you talk to KC, they are in the process of selling kits that are the same sort of components to the two being compared in this thread with a competitive price. Reiterating on what has already been said, the brewlogic is an in house regulator Midwest is using and Taprite is an industry manufacturer. If you called in your order to KC and put in their Chudnow regulator (their in house) instead of the Taprite, I'm sure the prices would be the same if not a little less.

If you talk to KC, they are in the process of selling kits that are the same sort of components to the two being compared in this thread with a competitive price. Reiterating on what has already been said, the brewlogic is an in house regulator Midwest is using and Taprite is an industry manufacturer. If you called in your order to KC and put in their Chudnow regulator (their in house) instead of the Taprite, I'm sure the prices would be the same if not a little less.

There we go! that's what I was asking! you get the :rockin: emoticon.

That being said, assuming it's true (I have no reason to not believe you), the question now is, is the price difference worth it. So I guess that will be up to me to debate in my head until I just go for it and pull the trigger... Thanks everyone...

I went with kegkits.com. Tom, the owner, is very helpful and responsive, and posts frequently to AHA techtalk.

I considered kegconnection, BUT, they do NOT sell stainless shanks. :confused: Everything the touches my beer has to be stainless. The guy from kegconnection offered to order stainless for me, but them not having any told me a lot about them.....

Michael

I hope you've already received your order (that's just the most recent similar thread). By most accounts, he's very helpful and responsive until you place your order and, since KegKits is a part time gig for him, apparently all of his free time goes towards posting on AHA techtalk instead of communicating with customers regarding delays and incorrectly packed orders.

I'm not sure how important stainless shanks are - especially when using typical beverage tubing and plastic disconnects. As far as I know, Micromatic is the only place to get stainless elbow shanks and they aren't cheap - I'm not sure how many people consider it worth the extra cost. I did when I bought my setup, but I don't know that I'd do it again.

I'm not trying to piss in your cheerios here, but I was warned about KegKits when asking about my planned setup and, from what I've read, I feel the need to do the same whenever it's mentioned. Running a part time business is fine and unexpected delays & even mispacked orders can be overlooked if the price is right and the dealer is honest and up front about it. However, when you're helpful until the money is collected and then dodge communication and lie until threatened with a chargeback or other action, that is unforgivable.

Admittedly, wronged customers are more likely to complain than satisfied customers are to offer praise, but any thread about KegKits seems to consist of many complaints and little to no defense or "happy customer stories". Very different from any other vendor complaint threads around here.

I considered kegconnection, BUT, they do NOT sell stainless shanks. :confused: Everything the touches my beer has to be stainless.

Wow! I had no idea that the shanks touched the beer. I always thought you ran tubing through the shank to the tap.

BTW where did you find stainless tubing? I just have standard Bevlex tubing. I thought I had good stuff.

Kegkits.com sucks. I wish I would have searched this forum before ordering from them. I got sent the wrong items and was missing items. Sent back the old items and I had to eat the shipping costs and never ended up getting the stuff that was missing even though he sent the corrected items back. The missing stuff was I think under $10 so I was done with KegKits and Tom Hargrove after repeated unanswered emails. Tom is either stupid, lazy, a cheat, or all of the above.

Kegkits.com sucks. I wish I would have searched this forum before ordering from them. I got sent the wrong items and was missing items. Sent back the old items and I had to eat the shipping costs and never ended up getting the stuff that was missing even though he sent the corrected items back. The missing stuff was I think under $10 so I was done with KegKits and Tom Hargrove after repeated unanswered emails. Tom is either stupid, lazy, a cheat, or all of the above.

You're lucky you got your stuff!

Back