Any bicycle riders out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixie

Reaction score
I am an avid cyclist, I bike everywhere and in any weather., I love all types of biking mountain,road,commuting, I am into it all. i was just wondering if there where any bikers out there to share the love with?

I used to be way into mountain biking when I was a little younger. I keep wanting to get back into it but it's one of those things that just keeps getting put on the back burner unfortunately.

Dust off that old Mountain bike and take it for a spin on a short trail. Get a little exercise and some love from the outdoors, you will thank yourself later.

I'm a bicycle messenger and used to ride for institute of sport here in OZ and a div 2 pro team.

My happy place is on a mountain road early in the morning with the fog in the valley below thinking of what late hop additions would make my next brew so good!

I've been known to tear up the trail on my mtn bike -- it's great for killing hangovers and for making me thirsty to drink beer! The only problem is the wind is so bad up here March thru May; then the monsoons in June through August; and then Autumn Wind....

but, I still get in some time on the ol' Trex...

Year round bicycle commuter here. I have a couple fixed gear bikes for my commute and errands, a recumbent for longer road rides and a Pugsley for goofing around off-road and in the snow.

Most of my riding is commuting and general errands. I do try to get a few long rides on the recumbent over the summer and usually a century or two. I bought the Pugsley with the intention of riding off-road summer and winter but havn't ridden it much the last year or so. I mostly use it for neighborhood rides with my young daughter and wife.

So what is the fixie you refer to in your username. I have a Mercier Kilo TT (cheap track bike) with bull horns and a front brake and a CrossCheck with a fixed wheelset for my primary all weather bike.

Craig

All homebrewers should be bike enthusiests as well, something about these two hobbies just makes sense together. I am currently only road biking since I don't have a mountain bike and probably don't see one in my future this season. I also have a track bike I keep fixed for commuting to work and the like...amazing what one of those things will do for your pedalstroke.

I ride my bike to work everyday, for about 1.5 years now. It's just an old parts bike, not 2 parts the same brand or style, but it works great. Good for snow, trails, pavement, or the occasional yard or two. Gotta love the Kent Trails up here, miles and miles of paved bike trails, with some dirt trails poking off it everywhere.

Road cyclist here. With a wife and two small children, my riding has been sporadic. I do look forward to riding when I get the chance.
Last fall, I went over my bars and severed all the ligaments in my right thumb. Descents are still a bit of a white knuckle experience.
I do enjoy the tranquility of riding in silence on a back country road or after a long hill climb.

I have a couple bikes, 2 mtn, 2 road-ish. My road bike is a Surly crosscheck since I enjoy mashing around the mountain back (gravel) roads near my house. I can put fatter tires on there than a road frame. I also have a fixie, but that has not been off the trainer in 2 years. Have a single-speeded Q-Roo mtb, and a squishy Astrix Monk 29er. I work from home, so when I go "out for lunch" its usually a 20 mile road loop :).

Used to when I lived in the ex-burb, but between the narrow roads and logging trucks out here in the country, not safe.

I'm a road bike rider - currently riding a Trek 5200. My son has taken up riding too, and is riding my old Trek 1400. He's now faster than me, which is a very bittersweet feeling.

I'm a road bike rider - currently riding a Trek 5200. My son has taken up riding too, and is riding my old Trek 1400. He's now faster than me, which is a very bittersweet feeling.
Haha road biking is an old mans sport too, you have no excuse for that!

Year round bicycle commuter here. I have a couple fixed gear bikes for my commute and errands, a recumbent for longer road rides and a Pugsley for goofing around off-road and in the snow.

Most of my riding is commuting and general errands. I do try to get a few long rides on the recumbent over the summer and usually a century or two. I bought the Pugsley with the intention of riding off-road summer and winter but havn't ridden it much the last year or so. I mostly use it for neighborhood rides with my young daughter and wife.

So what is the fixie you refer to in your username. I have a Mercier Kilo TT (cheap track bike) with bull horns and a front brake and a CrossCheck with a fixed wheelset for my primary all weather bike.

Craig
I have two fixies that I tool around on, one is a jamis sputnik that is blacked out with sugino cranks and black rims, and the other is a masi track frame that is orange with white deep-v rims, and blue bull horns. It is so flash and yuppie looking but it is fun.
Sweet to see you have a pugsley, I have had the chance to ride one and it was crazy fun. Those tires are HUGE!! Great to see other bikers on HBT.:mug:

P.S. Thanks to who every fixed the title in this thread.

Haha road biking is an old mans sport too, you have no excuse for that!

I do have an excuse. I blame my brewing hobby; or more precisely, my drinking hobby, which has added too many pounds to my frame. At least the riding keeps my weight somewhat under control.

"Drink to ride. Ride to drink."

I've been into mountain biking for about 20 years, done a bit of racing as well. I love riding my road bike as well, but the crazy rednecks in pickups try to run me off the road around here.

I've been on a bike since I was able to walk. I grew up riding around the neighborhood, and then moved to BMX. As I got older I bought a MTB for safer dirt jumping and then XC. Then I built a fixed gear for kicks that I have now switched to the freewheel side for longer rides. Winter weekends are spent on the MTB trails, summer weeknights are spent on the single speed averaging 15-20 miles per night.:rockin:

I have a couple bikes, 2 mtn, 2 road-ish. My road bike is a Surly crosscheck since I enjoy mashing around the mountain back (gravel) roads near my house. I can put fatter tires on there than a road frame. I also have a fixie, but that has not been off the trainer in 2 years. Have a single-speeded Q-Roo mtb, and a squishy Astrix Monk 29er. I work from home, so when I go "out for lunch" its usually a 20 mile road loop :).

Sweet to hear that you have a crosscheck, I have had the chance to ride a few and they where great. I am thinking about getting a surly steamroller for a fixie commuter. Just what I need right more bikes! and beer for that matter!! Hopefully I will be putting a few pictures of my garage up. All you bike nerds will love it, there is 24 bikes in my garage at the moment. I live with five other people who are all into bikes and own a crap load. So pics soon!

Road/Fixie rider here. I worked as a bike mechanic at a huge shop in Boston while I was in college. Used to ride mountain a lot as well, but now basically only my road bike (Lemond Zurich circa 2002) and my fixed gear (Bianchi Pista frame, built up with a variety of parts)

I ride mostly mountain, since I live in CO, although they have some great road rides here too. Ever since I got a 29er, that's all I ride now. I prefer the tranquil peace of riding alone. There's nothing better than a day of epic riding and then enjoying some great brew!

The city I live in has dedicated bike lanes throughout downtown so it's really nice commuting through the city.

I got about 10 miles to work (one way) but my old MTB (bought in that huge shop in Boston someone mentioned earlier, BTW...) just isn't an option when it comes to commuting. So I just bought myself a new "almost road-spec:ed" cyclocross for commuting (the frame and wheels can take a little more abuse than a regular road bike and it allows for wider, studded tires in the winter, even though I have narrow semi-slicks on for now).

H

I am a trail rider from way back, I didn't get out much last year though so this year I am trying to make up for it. It is also a good excuse to break out the camera.

DSC02855_WS.jpg

bike.jpg

Love biking. All of it! Gotta Chumba XCL for single track/ trail and a Pedal Force carbon fiber 16lb lightweight for on road and triathlons. Just got a Santa Cruz Superlight for my wife's B-Day. Would love a Cross Check for commuting/rain bike. Always want what you don't have, sigh.

Mtn biker here, although i have a road bike but it usually only gets action on my rollers when its muddy out.

SWMBO and I have been talking about getting a couple of bikes, something that we could use out on the road as possible commuters and light trail riding. I'd love some suggestions.

SWMBO and I have been talking about getting a couple of bikes, something that we could use out on the road as possible commuters and light trail riding. I'd love some suggestions.

The thing about dual purpose or "hybrid" bikes is that they end up sucking at everything. I hate to sound like a jerk, but its the truth. I think most hybrid bike owners start out with good intentions and then never find the enjoyment that people with the proper equipment experience. If by trail, you mean dirt, you really need some tire volume and tread on your tires, and for the road, the tread will just slow you down. I think the closest you can actually come is a cyclocross type bike with room for a little wider tires, fenders for commuting, larger diameter wheels and better gearing for the road. Steer clear of the hybrids with their heavy flexy forks and seatposts. I ride a Surly Crosscheck as my "road" bike because I like to take dirt roads and can duck into a trail if I have my file-treads on. If you do not like drop-bars, there are a lot of "City Bikes" that may work for you.

The thing about dual purpose or "hybrid" bikes is that they end up sucking at everything. I hate to sound like a jerk, but its the truth. I think most hybrid bike owners start out with good intentions and then never find the enjoyment that people with the proper equipment experience. If by trail, you mean dirt, you really need some tire volume and tread on your tires, and for the road, the tread will just slow you down. I think the closest you can actually come is a cyclocross type bike with room for a little wider tires, fenders for commuting, larger diameter wheels and better gearing for the road. Steer clear of the hybrids with their heavy flexy forks and seatposts. I ride a Surly Crosscheck as my "road" bike because I like to take dirt roads and can duck into a trail if I have my file-treads on. If you do not like drop-bars, there are a lot of "City Bikes" that may work for you.

No, I appreciate that. I can see most of my cycling doing paved road riding, but I'd like enough versatility to handle loose gravel/dirt trails around the state parks and rails-to-trails project that are around my area.

Here's a video I made last November of part of our local trail system. My mountain bike was still setup for dirt jumping at the time so traction was a little hard to come by. Hope you enjoy! Be sure to push the HQ button. :rockin:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDlCssTAKw]YouTube - Flint River MTB[/ame]

I took my hard tail mountain bike and bought an inexpensive set of rims for it. One set has off road tread and the other has road tires. When I'm riding with my wife and children, it works pretty well.

I took my hard tail mountain bike and bought an inexpensive set of rims for it. One set has off road tread and the other has road tires. When I'm riding with my wife and children, it works pretty well.

That's what I think I'll do, John. More than anything else, having a road bike would be a good way for me to keep in shape during the rugby off-season. Don't think I'm playing sevens this year, so I'm trying to plan ahead. ;)

I'm trying to keep the price for my bike under $200, if possible - so if anyone has recommendations, I'm all for 'em!

:mug:

I guess more accurately, $200 -$300.
You wont be happy with a $300 new bike either. Road bikes are expensive, but there is nothing better than riding an in-tune road bike down a nice smooth road. You get what you pay for up to about the $2k range, then it starts getting exponentially more expensive for not that much better of a bike. For example, the difference between a $4k and a $5k bike is the weight of a few paperclips.

I dunno, dudes - I'm not looking to drop serious coin on an off-season trainer. I'll keep researching.

Appreciate the honesty just the same.

I dunno, dudes - I'm not looking to drop serious coin on an off-season trainer. I'll keep researching.

Appreciate the honesty just the same.
I guess I should have been more clear, I was just saying to look used. Craigslist is incredibly competitive with bikes, but you can score some serious deals if you keep up on it.

yeah, you can get a pretty nice used bike on craigslist... Take advantage of someone who dropped $800 2 years ago and rode it twice. You should be able to get something decent but maybe 5-10 years old. It will ride better for longer than a new 300 bike.

I picked up a nice old steel Batavus frame and fork for $5 and cobbled together a fixie for less than $300. I had some parts though.

I'm in the riders club now. Or back into it. I just (today) picked up a used mountain bike at the local bike shop. I've got 30 days to beat it before it's checkup. Somehow I think I'll be the one beat up though. I will add that if I tried to buy this bike new, it would have been double the price. A few scratches here and there, but overall, I'm stoked.

Back