I'm not dead yet!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
But I am leaving. Lacking a super-wide monitor, the new page format ruins the experience.

Don't go. Browse a couple days on a phone. Afterwards, it'll be pure IMAX.

Can't leave after 25,000 posts due to disliking the layout! As a previous poster said, try the mobile app.

I still miss the good ol' days of DOS and dialing into a BBS for info...

A buddy of mine is just getting into brewing and is constantly bombarding me with questions, which I don't entirely mind. But I keep telling him to just come here because this is where i've learned almost everything I know about brewing. Yesterday he admitted that he has tried to a couple of times, but finds the layout too much of a bother and information very hard to find. I don't see much problem with the layout (although the change took me a bit of time to get used to), but I paid and don't see the ads and AdBlock is the first thing that gets installed on every computer of mine after Firefox.

I really hate the right side margin ads. So distracting.

But you can turn them off!

David, I don't have a wide screen monitor, and I'm "old school" for sure. But in your CP you can turn off the right side margin ads, and reset your zoom on your browser.

You can't leave- I need you! You're one of the few "oldtimers" still around and we're being outnumbered by the youngsters!

I really only get pissed off at the sidebar ads when it is Orion telescopes...don't know if you guys see the Orion ads, maybe they are taylored to me since I am heavy into astronomy. but they are misleading and full of bullsh*t

Lots of people get turned away from good astronomy when they are misled into buying a cheap POS telescope.

Just my $.02

I don't get ads, but for me there are a listing of new posts. I'm still trying to get use to it. Nice to have the option to turn that off. Maybe a mass PM explaining the change and how to turn it off would have been nice.

But I am leaving. Lacking a super-wide monitor, the new page format ruins the experience.

Cranky old guy indeed!

There is a thread that walks you through getting rid of the ads. I freaked when I first had the ads, but now life is a bowl of cherries again.

I don't know what all this is about. The sidebar issue came up months ago and the complaints followed the same day -- so did the solution to turn it off.

I have seen no changes since then.

I don't know what all this is about. The sidebar issue came up months ago and the complaints followed the same day -- so did the solution to turn it off.

I have seen no changes since then.

Yes, if something changes the first thing that I do is check out the "HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback" forum all the way at the top.

Oh, hallelujah! I'm back to my beloved format. Thanks so much for telling me that you could turn those ads off. All I can figure out is that around the same time the format change happened, I got a new Apple laptop. Very confusing. I never have time to track stuff like this down anyway so just dealt with it.

Thanks!!

A tip for you.

If you have a browser that supports adblock you can remove certain elements of the website including that side piece.

A tip for you.

If you have a browser that supports adblock you can remove certain elements of the website including that side piece.

Support the forum. Don't block out all ads. Give one a click sometime. You know you wanna click the Snorg girls...

Support the forum. Don't block out all ads. Give one a click sometime. You know you wanna click the Snorg girls...

To be clear, I haven't blocked the ads. They aren't annoying, but some boxes such as new threads, follow us, ect have been blocked just to clean up the experience for me. Don't need the giant HBT logo at the top its gone.

It also comes in handy on certain other forums where people like to spam the same image over and over.

David-42
You have not posted to your thread since creating it. Still waiting for more info. Cheers .. Oh, you haven't any idea what a "cranky old guy" is ... I speak from experience.

David-42
You have not posted to your thread since creating it. Still waiting for more info. Cheers .. Oh, you haven't any idea what a "cranky old guy" is ... I speak from experience.

Yahhh man, my wife is threatening to send me to the doctor to get me some happy pills.

We PAY to not see ads. That is support enough in my opinion.

Pappers determined that is was a sidebar issue, not ads. I'm back in, but still cranky.

Reminds me of The Unseen song titled "Are we dead yet?". The chorus, in gang vocals goes: Are we dead yet...? (insert answer)

Supporting members can turn off both advertising and the 'newest threads' sidebar. Go to the top of this page and click on the 'My Account' drop down menu. Click on 'Control Panel'. On the left side, in the 'Settings & Options' section, click on 'Edit Options'. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will find 'Disable Advertising?' and 'Disable Sidebar?' Change both of those to 'Yes' and you will be good to go.

I'm glad you're back, and I love you when you're cranky. :p

Nobody loves me when I'm cranky. Thinking about it, nobody loves me when I'm not cranky either, so I guess it all works out.

David: I truly thought something was wrong with your equipment. I had no idea you just didn't know how to turn off ads and sidebar. LOL! :D

Back