IPA without hoppiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ascha

Reaction score
So I put together a rye IPA but the final product lacks a hoppy flavor. After I reviewed my recipe, I just goofed up and didn't include enough hops. I really need to purchase the Beersmith software. Anyway, the taste is a nice malty flavor and I'll continue to drink it, but I can't call it an IPA, what should I label it as?

Why does it matter? Call it beer.

In the end it really does not matter, but there is a part of me that gets what he is talking about.

Calling a non hoppy beer IPA is like calling Britney Spears rock music, it just does not fit

A pale ale with low hop flavor/aroma is called a Bitter. IPA-strength would be an ESB - Extra Special Bitter.

So I put together a rye IPA but the final product lacks a hoppy flavor. After I reviewed my recipe, I just goofed up and didn't include enough hops. I really need to purchase the Beersmith software. Anyway, the taste is a nice malty flavor and I'll continue to drink it, but I can't call it an IPA, what should I label it as?

You don't need to purchase anything for brewing calculations. here's a nice spreadsheet that I'm continuously updating the more I brew. It's free, instantly "updatable" and you can see what formulas are being used to make the calculations (open source--so you learn at the same time). It's in OpenOffice format (a MS Office alternative that's also both free and open source). Cheers!

Back