Traquair or Old Jock in Clone Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator419

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone has brewed either the Traquair House Ale or Old Jock recipes (or both) in the Scottish Ale section of the Clone Brews book? Both beers get great ratings on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer. Is one of the recipes preferable to the other? Any insight would be most appreciated! Thanks.

I just bottled Traquair house ale. It tastes great not as oakey as I thought it might be at bottling. I had my first Traquair not long ago and had to clone it.

Used Clone Brews recipe.

Thanks for the insight, Brewtah. I know there's a lot of debate about the use of Peated Malt in Scotch Ales. Did you use the Peated Malt in the Clone Brews Recipe? I'm thinking of making it without the Peated Malt; maybe using barley and a caramel malt in its place. Thoughts? Also, what type of yeast did you use?

We did a clone with MO and 5 oz of Roasted Barley. Haven't tasted the bottled or keg yet, but it really tasted good on packaging day (2/1). Going to let bottle and keg condition probably until 3/1.

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've used MO extract with Northern Brewer's Innkeeper, which is bottle conditioning as we speak.

15 lb 4.8 oz MO
5 oz Roasted Barley
.86 oz Perle 45 min
.87 oz Perle 35 min
Winsor dry yeast
OG 1.081
90 min boil
5 gal into fermenter

Good luck, if you brew this recipe, we should compare results.

Sheldon

Hi Sheldon,

Thanks for sharing this. I'm thinking of modifying the Traquair House Ale recipe in the Clone Brews book to remove the 3 oz. of peated malt and add 2 oz of roasted barley and 1 oz of Caramel 60 malt.

Still researching this; I won't brew this until maybe July, so it'll be ready in the winter.

Back