3711 at cooler temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckiesRevenge

Reaction score
Say, I'm wondering. Has anyone used french saion yeast from wyeast at 60-65 deg? How is the flavor and ester profile?

I'm contemplating it for my next wit because I have it and it intrigues me.

My basement is at 62 deg. Which is lower than the range of the yeast. But I was hoping that might mute some of the over the top belgiany flavor or whatnot...

I think 3711 works well at ambient temperatures... might be a little less Belgian phenols. I don't know; been thinking of trying the strain recently because I've heard so much on blogs.

The Dupont strain, which might be 3765 or something like that, is the one you need to goose along and keep nice and toasty or you'll get a stuck ferment.

Dupont is 3724.

3711 will chug along at 60-65F, slower than higher temps, but it will still finish nice and dry. It will contribute less flavour at those temps too.

If it works at that temperature it should be fine. However, since it is below the recommended range, it might have a problem getting started. Be prepared to warm it up if necessary.

Been doin my latest batch (3711/530 blend) at 62F. Started in 18 hours even with a big starter, but has been powering through for 5 days now. Krausen has fallen & I'll do my first gravity check in a short while.

Hmmm.. looks like it IS slower at cooler temps. (EDIT: after 5 days, it's only down from 1.063 to 1.031.) I'm gonna ramp it up to 75F and see how long it takes to finish.

Piratwolf, have you used 3711 at higher temps before? If you have could you let me know what sorts of differences you see in the taste profile. I'd be very interested in knowing what you find.

It's interesting how slow the progress is on your beer. With how much of a monster it is I guess it really doesn't like the cold. Hopefully warming it up will finish it off fairly quickly.

Back