Installation of a dip tube above false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrie

Reaction score
I'm just getting all the parts in to my new single-tier brew structure with kettles, and I'm down to the last few decisions. One I'm stuck on is the placement of the dip tube in the mash tun. I'm hoping someone with a little more experience than me can help me out here.

I have a 15-gallon morebeer heavy duty kettle and the matching non-folding SS false bottom. This FB sits almost 1-7/8 or so off the bottom of the kettle, which makes drilling a hole and putting in a weldless fitting below the FB a little challenging. I'm wondering if it might be easier to put it above the FB with a dip tube going through it. However, I'm worried about how easy it is to remove and clean the FB and dip tube if it's not hinged. I've found Jaybird's install video on youtube, but that's a hinged FB, not a flat one (which I have). So...if you'll indulge me a few questions, I would very much appreciate advice!

1) If I put the fitting above the FB, how much higher than the level of the FB do you recommend I go?

2) Any recommendations on using a dip tube that reaches out to the center, or one that is closer to the side? It seems like closer to the side may make it easier to remove the FB as you're sort of pivoting about that point to get the FB titled, then the dip tube can come out.

3) How big of a hole do I have to to drill for a 1/2" tube? Obviously, I want it to be as small as possible to avoid grain coming in around the tube.

4) Am I making this too hard on myself and this is really much simpler way to do this by....?

I appreciate the advice. I just don't want to start down this road and find out I f'd up my false bottom and dip tube.

Thanks! Cheers.

Many of us use some kind of quick disconnect to connect our false bottom dip tubes. Mine is made out of 1/2" stainless pipe and I use a stainless union on my dip tube to facilitate removal. Some just use silicone hose and hose barbs. I've even seen camlocks.

IMG_20110911_091140.jpg

Thanks. My plan is to use a diptube with a compression fitting. I haven't yet set the ferrule, and I've typically seen them set with some space after the ferrule (1st image)

But I could also set it like this at the end, I think (2nd image), thus making it so that it immediately disconnects. Do you think that do the trick? Thanks.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Back