need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
So it's the end of the third day of fermentation for my first brew, an Amber ale. The yeast took off a bit early b/c of high temp, and I took a SG reading earlier today and it registered at 1.014. 1.011-1.013 was my estimated FG so I believe fermentation is almost complete. I'm leaving in primary for a week to allow the yeast to clean up its byproducts from a hot early fermentation, but I think bottling in a week and conditioning for only two weeks will give me a great first beer. The sample I tested today was WONDERFUL, very flavorful with a good balance of bitterness and I'm confident that dry hopping with 1 or 2 oz of Cascade hops will add just the right amount of aroma I'm looking for.

Temp is still at 70-72 degrees F in primary and looking to leave in primary rather than rack to a secondary... any advice would be great as this is my first brew

I like to rack my beers to a secondary to clear them up a bit. I dont bottle anything so I cant help you there, but as for high temps you might get some fruity esters, most people like them I do in some brews like an amber ale. I think your gonna be just fine. Congrats on your first brew
Cheers
JJ

Latest posts

Back