Simcoe IPA- recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
Here's my recipe for a Simcoe single-hop IPA that I'm brewing next week. Thoughts?

Grain:
10# Pale 2-row
2# Crystal 20L

Hops:
Simcoe 13% AAU
1oz (60min)
.5oz (15min)
.5oz (10min)
.5oz (5min)
.5oz (0min)

Yeast:
WLP060 American Ale Blend

Anticipating an OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.016

for my taste 2lbs of crystal is too much, but thats just me.

Yeah. That's a bit much on the crystal. I'd bump the two row up to 11 or 11.5 and even the mash out to 12 pounds with crystal 20 or 40. I like 40 and 60 in my IPAs.

My buddy just did a Simcoe SMaSH and toasted two pounds of his grain at 300 for 30-45 minutes and it came out delicious with a hint of smokey flavor that really helped the Simcoe shine.

I'd drop the caramel down to >lb switch it to 40/60, add some Munich, a little red wheat.

Possibly some warrior for bittering and save the simcoe for sub 10 minutes and have a big hop stand.

I did an all Simcoe and it was great. Grain bill was similar but I'm with the rest of the crew to drop the crystal down. A nice clean IPA that I've done a few times is 10# 2-row, 1# C-40, 1# Vienna.

Disagree with C-60 comments. C-40 or below is my preference for IPAs. Sometimes I don't use any Crystal. Nevertheless, 16.7% Crystal is certainly too much in an IPA. Half of that amount would even be pushing it.

Double all of your late hop additions and include a 3 oz. dryhop for 7 days.

If you mash lower than 152 F, add 5-6% corn or table sugar to your current recipe, make a yeast starter of the appropriate health and size, oxygenate the hell out of your wort, ferment at the appropriate temps. and for the appropriate time, then I see no reason why you shouldn't get above 80% attenuation. This will significantly reduce your FG and make your beer drier, which is better for AIPAs as far as I'm concerned.

Back