having some issues here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwomp313

Reaction score
I looked around and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. I just got a new kegging setup. I have a taprite regulator and ball lock kegs. I set my keg in the fridge overnight at 30psi. I was having trouble adjusting the regulator then too. Now this morning I took the keg and CO2 out so I could lower it down to 10psi. I vented the keg first and then when I remove the gas from the keg the keg shoots out air from the in post. Why is it doing this? Also, for some reason when I pull the knob out to try and turn the co2 down nothing happens I can't seem to get the regulator to change pressure. Am I doing something wrong?

The first thing I did when I set up my kegging system was to take everything apart and clean it all together. Unfortunately, what I didn't know at the time is that I had several different posts and poppets and mixed together. It took me a while to figure out which poppets went with which posts. The issue with leaking gas could be because of an improperly matched poppet that is not sealing properly.

As far as the regulator, make sure the lock nut is not interfering with normal adjustments. Usually it prevents you from raising the pressure higher than you want, not keep you from lowering it, but who knows...

I agree with Grizzlybrew...sounds like the gas in poppet is sticking or just not seating correctly...pull, clean, reinstall...but like Grizz said, if you've mixed up a few poppets you might have some investigating to do.

Regarding the regulator adjustment, you note you "pull the knob out", suggesting you don't have the screw adjustment with set bolt that most regulators have. I read a few reviews on your type regulator and a few have complained about the pull knob stripping out. Perhaps yours is stripped? If so and the set up is new...have your vendor replace.

Best of luck.

Thanks guys. Another thing I forgot to mention was that last night when I was fiddling with it at one point the regulator was shooting air out the back. I'm guessing that's a relief valve? If the post or poppet is incorrect then they must've sent me the wrong one because it's exactly as it was. I never actually took it apart I just cleaned the whole thing out with oxyclean and then star san. I guess I better call them tomorrow.

Another thing I forgot to mention was that last night when I was fiddling with it at one point the regulator was shooting air out the back. I'm guessing that's a relief valve?

Regulators will wear out in time and will leak. But, if this is a brand new regulator, maybe it has a manufacturer's fault in design/construction.

Back