MLT insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I brew with HLT, MLT and kettle that are 15 gallon converted sanke kegs.
Now that it is getting colder and I brew outside I would love to get a good material to wrap around my MLT so I can save money on propane.
Any one use or know of a good insulator for a decent price?

I use a carbon fiber welding blanket as they can handle a direct flame and high temps for extended periods. The downside is they are rather pricey and after about a year of use mine is starting to show its age and is looking rather worn.

blackredskin.png
I use this http://www.keg-skins.com/products.html but I don't direct fire. It's made to insulate kegs to keep them cool, but works fine to keep them warm as well. I use electric and a herms to keep the mash at temp. It does work well. I even made 3 slits in it so the ball valve, temp probe , and recirulation port could poke though. I though it might rip if I made slits but it's very strong. I did buy it for half price with a groupon so it might be priced a but high otherwise.

I use a carbon fiber welding blanket as they can handle a direct flame and high temps for extended periods. The downside is they are rather pricey and after about a year of use mine is starting to show its age and is looking rather worn.

I picked up the blanket from McMaster-Carr over a year ago. It's enough to go around the keg mash tun several times. I don't remember the exact size of it, but I have one thickness glued to the keg mash tun and another that goes around it 1-1/2 times. I still have some left over too. The combination of those typically is enough to fight the colder temperatures.

I also have some reflectix insulation that I'm thinking about using as a slip-over heat shield. I'll need to remove it whenever fire is applied to the keg though. BUT, it can work to add more insulation to the mash tun in the cold months. If you decide to use reflectix, be sure to NOT leave it on when you use the burner. Otherwise, it WILL melt on you. At least the lower 1/2-1/3 of it will.

Back