small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctwtp

Reaction score
going to be doing lots of small batches of wine until i find a recipe I'm happy with....my question is does anyone else out there use 2L plastic bottles to do this?
have they performed well??

all thoughts/ ideas welcome

I don't like plastic bottles... but then again I am that crazy guy doesn't like sanitizing chemicals either :) :) do I use them, yes my milk comes in plastic bottles, so does half the processed food in my fridge, and yes I use sanitizing chemicals on things I can not easily boil, heck even my primary fermenter, for whole fruit wines is plastic. BUT when I have an easy alternative I take it. If you want to make small batches get some large wine bottles the 1.5L size. Any restaurant that sells wine usually throws out tones of these larger bottles every day and if you ask often times they will save them for you.

As to your question about smaller batches, I think thats a great idea. I have done the same in several 1/2 gallon jugs I have. Just keep in mind that the smaller the batch the more accurate you need to be with your measurements.

I make all my wines in 1 gallon batches. I have two 2 gallon primary buckets and a bunch of 1 gallon glass vinegar jugs for secondaries.

I use the 1 gallon fruit juice bottles. Usually I buy them for the wine anyways, take off the cap and use a universal carboy bung & airlock. Make sure the plastic resin code on the bottom isn't 3 or 7 otherwise the bottle may contain BPA. If it does have 3 or 7 look for "NO BPA"... If you care about that stuff.

thanks everyone, lot of stuff to think about.

luckily i work in the grounds of hotel/restaurant/ conference centre so i can get my hands on bottle and buckets, but got to be quick!

Back