What gets ready fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Androshen

Reaction score
My friends are beginning to eye my fermenting/aging stock with curiosity and maybe a tad impatience .... they want to sample something and I know what I have will not be ready for quite some time.
So, I may have to one of the quicker recipes to give them (and my wife and I) something to enjoy while waiting.
What are some of the faster quasi-mead choices and the times from start to drink times?
I have read about cysers and JAOM-types ... what are the average times til they are ready for consumption ... but no longer tasting like modified racing fuel.

:confused:

I have 4 carboys currently "in progress" and do not wish to rush *them* ... so I am looking for something to drink in the interim.
I had read alot of good reviews about the various JAOM recipes as well as the cysers, so I figured they would be a good choice to help give the rest time to age ....

I have 4 carboys currently "in progress" and do not wish to rush *them* ... so I am looking for something to drink in the interim.
I had read alot of good reviews about the various JAOM recipes as well as the cysers, so I figured they would be a good choice to help give the rest time to age ....

ah, gotcha.

maybe just buy them some cheap wine?

I've made both JAOM and JQGM and I still think they taste too "hot" until at least six months in the bottle.

But, that's still quicker - and will keep all the pesky hands off of your treasures while it ages!

ah, gotcha.

maybe just buy them some cheap wine?

I've made both JAOM and JQGM and I still think they taste too "hot" until at least six months in the bottle.

But, that's still quicker - and will keep all the pesky hands off of your treasures while it ages!

I would go the cheap wine route, but I am the first in my circle of acquaintances to try making their own wine and they are getting very eager to see what the end product tastes like.
I kinda stoked the curiosity by brewing a batch of gluten-free homebrew and they *really* liked that ... even though it was gluten-free .... :mug:
Now my wife (who is the ONLY celiac in the group) is scowling at me as the GF beer rapidly dwindles. :p Oooops!

mead is never going to be ready to drink faster than a low/mid gravity beer, especially if the beer has been aging a bit already.

Mead is just like beer or wine, the higher the gravity the longer it takes to condition. A 1.035 mead can be quite nice after a week.

Beer is all well and good ... but I like wine!:cross:
SWMBO is a bit territorial about her beer also ... :eek:
I guess I will try a JAOM.

Ginger Mead (AKA, The Tina Louise). I drink this regularly at young ages, and it drinks very well. I currently have a keg on tap that I started November 7, and like it plenty.

21 lbs honey (I like Orange Blossom)
3 lbs peeled and shredded ginger (up to 5 lbs if you want/have some hair on your chest)
Water to 5.25 gallons

15 gms Lalvin 71B-1122

Nutrient treatment.
Before pitch:
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp Fermaid K

at 24, 48 and 72 hours:
1/2 tsp DAP
1/4 tsp Fermaid K

Rehydrate the yeast in 100 ml of water plus 20 grams of Go-Ferm in a cake pan (it will rehydrate faster if you have more surface area)

Vigorously (to add O2) mix the honey, nutrient and H20, and dump in the ginger.

Pitch the yeast after 20 minutes.

Add the additional nutrients daily per instructions. It'll be done fermenting in about 21 days. Rack off the ginger into glass, and fine with bentonite if you are concerned with clarity. It'll drop clear in about 1 month. Sorbate it if you are concerned with bottle bombs - I put it in a keg, and it starts to go away really quickly. It'll keep for a couple of years, and probably more, but mine never make it that long.

This mead goes really well with Indian and Thai food, and goes over pretty well with members of the opposite sex who like ginger. It has some heat.

BTW, a commercial grade immersion blender rocks when mixing up meads like this. I bought a Waring, and I'm loving it.

Ken,

Just curious, I'm guessing that the 3lbs of ginger hides some of the off-flavors from being young? (As well as the staggered nutrients prevent many of them being made.)

Ken,

What kind of OG, FG do you usually get with that?

Also, you're the Compleat Meadmaker guy, right? Excellent book, friend. I just finished it a few months back and reference it regularly.

I have a pyment thats been in the works for a little more than three weeks. It started at 1170 and when I checked it the other night it was down to a 1.035. I gave it a little taste and it was really good. Its made with three gallons of white grape juice, six pounds of honey, and water to bring it to 5 gallons.

Wow, I just told my wife who suggested the ginger mead recipe we are in the process of gathering ingredients for.:D

I really need to pay attention to who is writing replies. :p

Latest posts

Back