Question about Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keynes

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Had a couple of questions about temps of my second homebrew batch. I had trouble cooling the wort to below 75 degrees f in about an hour and 10 minutes (airtight container). Unfortunately, I made plans to go out, so I had to pitch my yeast (saf us-04). Once I got home from this commitment (about 4 hours), the temp was around 71f and is now (about 13 hours after pitch) it is sitting at 69-71f with a bit of Krauzen. I am wondering if this is too likely to adversely impact the flavour of my beer? These temps are from the fermenter not ambient (which generally sits low 60's).

Thanks in advance!!

I doubt that your pitching schedule will have a significant negative impact on the flavor, but I'd be inclined to get the brewing temp down a bit if possible, maybe around 62-65F.

If you want 04 to be neutral as possible around 65F it´s ok, above 68F is very estery. A little bready but really good flocc BHW what are you brewing?

I do this all the time. Usually, I'll just kill the gas, put the lid on, and come back to it in an hour. I'll transfer it to the fermenter and put it in my swamp cooler and then pitch the next morning. Works out every time. I've tried to rush cooling the wort too many times, so now I just chill til the next morning.

I do this all the time. Usually, I'll just kill the gas, put the lid on, and come back to it in an hour. I'll transfer it to the fermenter and put it in my swamp cooler and then pitch the next morning. Works out every time. I've tried to rush cooling the wort too many times, so now I just chill til the next morning.

I was going to say,
If you have to go away for a while and it is too hot to pitch, wait till you get back.
Whats done is done and I am sure it will turn out just fine.

Thanks everyone, have made me feel a bit better about it all. Have cooled the fermenter down a bit and is now sitting at about 68f (and will cool a little further).

I sorted out the temps on this batch yesterday. However, I just discovered that the lid of my fermenter has a slight defect in the thread (it has a twist top) and is not 100% airtight (but is not leaking a whole heap either). I am a little worried as I left the wort to cool in this for over an hour before pitching yeast. It seems to be fermenting fine at the moment, but is there anything to be worried about?

Keynes said:
I sorted out the temps on this batch yesterday. However, I just discovered that the lid of my fermenter has a slight defect in the thread (it has a twist top) and is not 100% airtight (but is not leaking a whole heap either). I am a little worried as I left the wort to cool in this for over an hour before pitching yeast. It seems to be fermenting fine at the moment, but is there anything to be worried about?

I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you have good fermentation happening, you should have enough CO2 on top of the beer to keep out the baddies for now. Duct tape and StarSan later.

So, this batch is entering 3rd week of fermentation. The only problem is that there is going to be a bit of a spike in ambient temperature over the next few days. Outside, the temp will hit 77-80f. However, seeing that the house is still cool (and it is fermenting in a well insulated part of the house), it will probably reach 21 degrees ambiently. Seeing as it is in the 3rd week, should I be concerned if the temp of the fermenter gets to 72-73 f? Or will this just help the yeast clean up after themselves?

At the third week your fermentation it´s probably done so it doesn´t really matter if the temp goes up a little bit.

Latest posts

Back