How long to leave cherries in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
Added 7.5lbs of sour cherries to my 5gal batch. It's been on the fruit for 15 days and it's still fermenting a bit. How much longer can the cherries stay in the beer? Risk of off flavors?

I wouldn't worry about leaving the fruit too long. I've been leaving fruit in my sours for 8 months. A few weeks will not be a problem. That alcohol and lack of O2 slows deterioration of the fruit.

Once the gravity stabilizes, you can go ahead and bottle. Whatever the fruit is going to bring has already been delivered. Although as Calder mentioned, there's no particular rush. Most fruit is very high in antioxidants, which will help minimize the damage from whatever oxygen might be absorbed by the beer over time.

I've read that most of the fruit flavor gets extracted in about 7 days. I usually leave my fruit in for about 2 weeks though and it tastes great. I don't think there is anything wrong with leaving it in longer, it just won't get a lot more flavor out of it. As long as your fermenter is sealed properly there shouldn't be any risks. That's at least what I believe

Back