How many RPM's is too much for HLT Stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Mojo Rising

Reaction score
I am looking at buying components for a HLT Stirrer for my HERMS and I stumbled across a 129 RPM CW Rotation 14 lb-in Torque Geared motor that I would like to purchase. It that too high of RPM's? I am going to put a left handed pitch 4" aluminum prop on the end. I have a 15 gal converted Keggle.

I'd say something between 20 to 50 RPM's is all you'd need. All you want to do is cause the water to move not vortex.

I would like to stay AC if possible to keep it simple and that way I don't have to find another 12v adapter. I have used all of them in the house for other DIY projects and would have to go to RadioShack for a new one.

I'd say something between 20 to 50 RPM's is all you'd need. All you want to do is cause the water to move not vortex.

I know The Pol recommends 100rpm min. I bought a 220rpm gearmotor and it seems to be ok (still don't have a finalized setup, just testing). It depends on the stirrer blade as well though if it will work.

Depends on how far out the paddle blades stick. The outside diameter plus rpm will determine the speed to some extent. If you think the motor is a good buy then just adjust the paddle would be my suggestion.

I am using a 25' copper coil. The propeller will be 4" in circumference. I don't know if that will be too much resistance or not.

This may be something you will just have to try. The motor sounds like it has the torque to drive the prop at 129rpm. If you get too much jive in there just locate a smaller prop. Your mix rate is really a product of your amount of liquid, the size/efficiency of your mixing device, and the rpm.... There really is no golden rpm standard.

Sounds like this may get expensive....SWMBO will be questioning mysterious UPS packages.

Ha ha! Sent her one of those twin packs of wine in it for the SWMBO then you'll get some more slack with the Big Brown Truck deliveries.
On my last 25 gallon keggle HLT build I used a parallel reduction drive 120 VAC motor that draws 1.47 amps, the output is only 60 rpm's. Off the shaft is a stainless sleeve and shaft to a 9 3/4" diameter cupped lip x 11 1/2" pitch bronze outboard racing prop. Plenty of water movement at low rpm's without building a blender. I have other props of different pitches also that work great with a 120 VAC to 90 VDC tennis ball pitching machine motor, this has a speed control range from 12 to 126 RPM's to select the right amount of water movement with prop pitch. Look outside the box deeper for brewing equipment it's out there as well free curbside items. Like those 1 1/2 HP tread mill motors with speed controls for constant RPM's no matter the load, these work great when the proper reduction ratio is found for a grain mill drive motor. This was another curbside find the neighbor added a water bottle screw that ate up the control wires. Simple me fix but murdered the thread mill machine wanting only the motor with speed control.
Your looking for slow water movement and heat transfer not a yeast starter tornado cone.

Thanks man...I would have never thought of a treadmill motor. My neighbors already think I am making METH when I brew. They really will think I am crazy when I start beating a treadmill with a sledge hammer!

This was a $2,300 treadmill I took apart has a ton on controls on it for warmup, calories burned and other usless crap that will be cut away. The motor a DC brushed motor has a slotted plastic window for the led speed control to maintain a constant rpm even at 100 rpm's no load. Grab the motors serpentine pulley with a leather glove and instantly feel the torque increase to maintain the set rpm's. The reduction drive off the motor to the tread roller is app 3.5:1 ratio, motor max rpm's 4,460 rpm's. Should you locate a treadmill make sure the electronic speed control and motor respond for your use. Most i've seen had a bad tread costing over $100 alone hence a curbside item. There's a jackscrew motor for incline an added future use item.
After removing all keeper items the plasma cutter made quick scrap of the frame with some rectangle tubing put in the storage pile. Pack rat here.
Best part this snob of a neighbor saw that I got it running with my crazy talent, sad part the wife wasn't too happy as I cut it apart before fixing the wiring hence a useless big dollar treadmill. I was in a rip and tear hurry. It may be another backup for the MM3-2 grain mill. Another great high quality unit is the 1/3 to 1/2 HP 120 VAC motor with worm drive gearbox as a single unit used on disability stair climber units. Full taper bearing gearboxes 20K hour life with 565 in/lbs TQ but rather low at 28.85 rpm's. Gear one of these units up to a jackshaft then direct couple with a Lovejoy to the grain mill. This way no bushing side loading on the grain mill direct coupling. HBT member Lehr I recall has a nice 90 degree small lab quality motor to turn a HLT prop. I may be wrong but believe it was Pats brewery system.
My first HLT stir was a free old phonograph motor allowing 33, 45 and 78 RPM's mounted in a tin box, worked for years but looked like crap.

Back