Carbonation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRISKELTON

Reaction score
So I've bottled several batches of beer using natural carbonation... No problems... until my last two batches!

The last two batches had OG's of 1.08 and 1.10, so I expected the carbonation to take a little longer. It's been about 3 weeks on one batch and 4 weeks on the other.

My question is:

Can I pour these bottled beers into a keg, force carbonate, and then re-bottle them?

Obviously, I know this will need to be done in a sanitized manner. Just curious if anyone has ever had this problem and had success with the procedure I'm considering doing.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Cheers!

It could take several months for those to carbonate. I just threw a batch in a keg that was in bottles for about 4 months and it's carbonated but it's also a little cardboardy. The biggest risk you run of transferring to a keg, if you are sanitized, is oxidation.

wait another 3 months and post in this thread again if there is still no carbonation.

oh this thread makes me feel a lot better. I'm having the same concern with a big (9.3% abv) IIPA I just made. The yeast got a little carried away converting sugars I guess. It's been about 3 weeks now and my previous 2 batches were nicely carbed up by this point. The IPA tastes amazingly good and I'd love to see a nice frothy head on it. Time and patience will tell I suppose. Does anybody know the reasoning behind why bigger beers take longer to get their bubbles?

Yeast get sluggish and perform more slowly in higher ABV environments.....they don't like the alcohol, it's their waste product and they'd rather it stay that way.

You wouldn't want to crap as much in a swimming pool of crap either.

I amuse myself entirely too much.

dbhokie said:
You wouldn't want to crap as much in a swimming pool of crap either.

I amuse myself entirely too much.

.... Wouldn't want to be swimming pool of crap in the first place... Poor yeast

Back