Muscadine Wine using wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WD40

Reaction score
This is my first post so I thought I would introduce myself by posting the wine recipe I have been using for the last couple of years. It is based on a recipe I found on the internet so I am not the originator or the creator of the recipe.

I went through several post after a search on muscadine so I think this recipe is unique to this forum.

As you might guess the wine is sweet to the taste and seems to have a good alcohol level albeit I have never attempted a calculation. People keep pestering me for a bottle so I think it is well accepted as a very good homemade wine as long as you didn't prefer dry.

The batch size is easy for a newbie since you can use a crock pot and canning jars.

I made three gallons this year with 6 batches so I could experiment and a batch matched the production of my vines as they became fully ripe.
Muscadine Wine using wild yeast

YIELDS 2 Quarts plus a small jam jar sample bottle
• 4 quarts Muscadine grapes(After Labor Day)
• 32 oz or 1 quart boiling water
• 15.8 oz or 2 1/4 cups sugar
• 5.9 oz or 3/4 cup vodka
Preparation:
DAY 1
Record time and date
• Stem and wash the grapes; drain well then place in a 4qt or larger stoneware crock.

• Mash grapes well being careful not to break open the seeds with heavy pounding.

• Pour boiling water over the mashed grapes.

• Cover the container with a single thickness of cheesecloth and hold with a rubber band then lay a second piece on top of that and then cover that with a thin thread worn towel to keep out fruit flies and leave in a cool(70F-80F), dark place for 48 hours.

• Note : The fermentation bin will be covered by a fruit "cap" which rises to the surface because of the gas produced during fermentation. Stir this under every 12 hours.

After DAY 2&3 (48 HOURS LATER)

• Remove pulp using a Jelly bag but do the final squeezing over the crock then clean the bag pour the juice through that bag again into a clean pitcher.

• Wash crock in hot soapy water and add the juice back.

• Add the sugar and stir.

• Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Cover to keep light out. Leave undisturbed for 72 hours.

After DAYs 4,5&6 (72 HOURS LATER)

• Add Vodka and stir.
• Cover tightly with a new piece of plastic wrap and rubber band. Cover to keep the light out. Leave untouched for 48 hours.

After DAYs 7&8 (48 HOURS LATER)
• Bottle in sterile, thoroughly dry containers being careful not to pick up from the bottom of the crock which is covered with yucky sediment.
• Store in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 months before using. You will have some sediment after a couple of months so you may want to decant before serving.

As compared to outside in September when the muscadines ripen it is cool.

hahah hes in Georgia its cooler there today than it is here in PNW. How often does that happen in January. Sun was great today

Ya, Hard freeze tonight so I have my orange and lemon trees protected best I can.

Thanks for the recipe.

I picked my muscadines when they were starting to shrivel after fully ripening... Maybe Mid October time... and Hot weather is a very real possibility... We were in shorts while sitting up under those vines....

70-80F is a "Cool" indoor place here in SC -- probably the same in GA as well... at least until Winter arrives...

I am guessing that the Vodka is to bump up the Alcohol to kill off any residual fermentation... Probably works fine.

My only recommendation to new Muscadine Vinters it so be sure to test Acid and Brix before adding a bunch of water and sugar... Many of those old recipes were heavily diluted with water because of bitter tasting miscellaneous wild grapes... Many folks were picking wild forest growing sour big purple grapes (Called Muscadines around here... but really probably Mustang grapes.)...

These can be quite bitter and sour (Until after the 1st hard freeze... when the birds swoop in and eat them all) and need heavy dilution to get them into a workable acid range... The cultivated vines available now.. and even those old ones down at the farm aren't like this at all -- they are quite sweet and with a good tang, but not bitter... No water or acid correction needed, and much less sugar to get them up to target SG.

Thanks

John

John, I think you are right on the vodka. The vodka stops the fermentation, and keeps the wine sweet and potent. From my internet research, this recipe falls in line with a fortified wine similar to a port. Our colonies made a fortified wine as a common way to use our native grapes. If I remember right, it was the most common alcohol drink of the day but if someone said I was wrong on this I sure wouldn't argue with them since my research is so shallow.

I watched that muscadine wine video but I wasn't sure of the recipe he used.

Back