What Beer can these Ingredients be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBRT

Reaction score
I need help Homebrewtalk, I have this stockpile of ingredients sitting around with so much potential of being a frothy brew but I have no recipe to make it happen. If you homebrewtalk fanatics can steer me towards a recipe you would be making me happy and the person the bestowed their old brew equipment to me.

My aim is to K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)
Make low budget additions to the recipe ( like hops, oats, yeast etc)
Possibly make two beers from the ingredients by maybe buying more extract or something

List:
6lbs of Traditional Dark: BRIESS DME
1LB Roasted Barley Muntons 2-Row
1LB Chocolate Malt: Dingemans 2-Row
1 LB Special B malt: Dingemans 2-Row
1 LB Black Patent Malt: Muntons 2-Row

I also have Safale Us-05 and Danstar British style yeast. I believe I cannot use either these for a porter or stout style but I am also not sure.

This will be my first attempt at a stout/porter and will grateful for ample advice that will make it happen.

You definitely have the makings of a stout/porter or two. The yeasts you have will be fine. The Windsor will be a little fruitier and sweeter, the US-05 a little cleaner and drier. I don't know if you want one high=gravity beer or two regularish ones. So here's some quick and dirty recipe formulation.

Imperial Stout. Steep all your specialty grains and 1lb flaked oats. Use all your extract, plus another 3lbs DME (dark, amber, light all okay). Add 2oz Northern Brewer at 60min. Add 1oz Fuggles, Willamette, EKG or something similar at 15 min. Ferment with yeast of your choice. Approximate #s:1.085/1.020/8.5%ABV. 56 IBUs. This will be very roasty. You can scale back all the darker malts a little if you want. This beer should age well.

Robust porter. Steep 1/2lb each chocolate malt, Special B and Black Patent. Use all the extract. Add 1oz Northern Brewer at 60 min. Late hops optional. US-05 preferred. 1.054/1.012/5.4% ABV. 33 IBUs.

Dry Irish Stout. 1lb Roasted Barley, 1.5lbs flaked barley, 4lbs DME. 1oz Northern Brewer at 60. Windsor preferred. 1.045/1.011/4.4% ABV. 35 IBUs.

Back