belgium wit a touch bitter in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hog2up

Reaction score
ok so after 6 days in primary, my gravity is 1.012...basically done as SG was 1.044. definitely taste orange and spice, but its a touch bitter. anything i can do before i rack to secondary to take the edge of the bitterness.? is it too much hops here or what?

6lb wheat lme, 8oz carapils. 1.5 oz bittering hops at boil, 1tbs coriander and 1 tbsp bitter orange peel last 10 minutes, 1oz aromoa hops last 3 minutes. 60 minute boil.

i think the amount of bitter orange peel and bittering hops was too much. probably should have strained the orange peel off the boil and not have put it in the primary. guess i will just have to see if it mellows out after 2-3 weeks in secondary.

hog2up said:
i think the amount of bitter orange peel and bittering hops was too much. probably should have strained the orange peel off the boil and not have put it in the primary. guess i will just have to see if it mellows out after 2-3 weeks in secondary.

Second that

wait until it's conditioned. carbonation can change a beer dramatically. my last wit tasted bitter before bottling but it was delicious from the bottle

Back