Some lowlife "broke" into my car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumbly

Reaction score
Last night some lowlife scumbag got into my car, I don't look it since there is usually nothing of value. I noticed this morning when I got into my car and my box cutter was on the driver seat, and my glove box was wide open. All that was taken Was about $1 in change and a half a box I snickers. At first I thought it was one of my buddies playing a joke on me since its kind of random crap to take. Turns out it wasn't, if only they spent 5 minutes more violating my property they could of gotten a pair of xikar cutters, $4 in change, and an 11/16 deep socket that was hidden underneath a coffee cup.

The population where I live is around 1,400. Our gun ownership percentages are pretty high as well... no need to lock any doors.

:)

It is almost not worth locking doors. Most the time what they take is cheaper to replace than the window they break. I know from experience I have had 4 cars broken into.

Are they checking doors before they smash windows?

I guess I don't know much about breaking into cars.

Amateurs.

A REAL criminal would have taken the car to a chop shop. Probably some bored kids.

Oh well. The best you can hope for in this situation is that they get diabetes from the snickers

Amateurs.

A REAL criminal would have taken the car to a chop shop. Probably some bored kids.

Oh well. The best you can hope for in this situation is that they get diabetes from the snickers

Maybe, but I doubt kids would take change. That generation grew up knowing you can't get anything for a dollar.

Amateurs.

im more pissed that someone can live taking some snickers and some lose change. i work hard, make a decent living, but im by no means loaded. im of the mind set that i have been blessed, and if someone in need were to come to me and need some food, i have no problem providing a meal for them.

nobody wants my Daily driver, its a 5 door Suzuki "Low Self" Esteem. leaks oil up front and if you dare put more the 15$ of gas round back it dribbles that while your driving along. and it tops out at 85. plus in my experience little to no delinquent youth can drive a manual transmission, which is another shame if you ask me. hell only me and 2 of my friends can drives manuals.

Probably an a-hole like this guy who I caught on video. Our car was left unlocked in our driveway and.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably an a-hole like this guy who I caught on video. Our car was left unlocked in our driveway and.....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJ60cXRFC8

Seems like it wouldn't take too much police work to catch that guy. That outfit kinda stands out, and he probaly wears it alot. Plus, I've determined that it was a he, so already narrowed it down.

You should be able to leave your door open and large amounts of cash on the dash. Thieves are the worst.

SmokingGunn said:
The population where I live is around 1,400. Our gun ownership percentages are pretty high as well... no need to lock any doors.

:)

Pretty much what I was going to say.
That plus it's a ways between houses, my rigs are a ways back from the road and there isn't even a shoulder on the road so it's hard for a crack head to casually look over a rig without finding out what gun happened to be close to me at that moment.

I've never locked my doors at home. Never locked my car when I was home. I did have a situation a few years back where someone stole a few quarters and 1/2 a pack of cigarettes from my car. A few days later the same thing happened so I cleaned out my car and never had a problem after that. I haven't owned a gun in 40 years. What good is it if you are sleeping and don't hear someone open the car door? Oh I guess I could have laid awake and shot the neighbor kid when he was out f****'ing around. I'm sure the parents would have understood. My advice to the OP is remove the snickers and the loose change from the car.

I'm surprised he actually bothered to close the door. Most thieves don't want to make that much noise.
I've had cars rumaged before. Once, it was a '65 Impala SS convertible. I got lucky that time. The guy fished a wire thru to open the lock instead of just cutting the top.

I had a car broken into once. Smashed a window, took the head unit, some CDs and pried open the back seat to see if there was a speaker box in the back. I was most angry about losing the CDs since everything else was covered by insurance. What was weird about it was they didn't take the radar detector even though they had to move the power cable to get to the stereo and missed the cell phone on the ground in the back seat.

What thieves normally do to get into cars is use a crowbar in the side of the window to try to pop the glass out of place and remove the glass. It's a silent way to get in. The problem is it ends up bending the window frame on the door and you pretty much have to replace the door because it's difficult to fix the bent metal there. In my case they tried to pop out the window, bent the window frame and then smashed the window so there was glass everywhere. Makes you want to just leave your doors unlocked. I used to work with a gal that grew up in a bad neighborhood and she always left her car unlocked so they wouldn't smash the windows.

It might be more common to steal luxury cars and the more common cars like Accords and Civics but when it comes to breaking into cars, older cars and cars that are dirty on the outside or messy on the inside are more likely to be hit. An older or dirty/messy car is less likely to have a working alarm and more likely to have a head unit that can be removed. If there is a bunch of stuff visible in the car it's possible somewhere in the mess is some cash, tools, CDs, cell phones, credit cards, wallets, purses, small electronics, etc. It makes more sense to break into a car that you can tell has stuff to take than a car that looks clean, probably has an alarm and you can't see anything worth taking.

Worst I ever had was when someone stole my gps Nav unit. It was pretty old and didn't hold a charge any more so I wasn't exactly heartbroken considering I was already looking at replacing it. But it still ground my gears that someone was in my truck.

A while back I had a buddy with a jeep. He loved driving with the doors off and for whatever reason, he always kept his tapes (back when CDs were still new) in the jeep. He never locked them up. One day he came in to work p!ssed as all get out. Someone stole the faceplate to his stereo. To get a replacement, he needed to show his registration paperwork. Never registered it. So, in place of that, he needed his original receipt from the purchase. Threw it away a long time ago. We laughed. He didn't see the humor in it like we did.

You can find lots of faceplate son ebay from people who stole them from cars. Oh, and you can also find plenty of radios to match the faceplates, because people who have had their faceplates stolen often no longer have a use for the radio!

A while back I had a buddy with a jeep. He loved driving with the doors off and for whatever reason, he always kept his tapes (back when CDs were still new) in the jeep. He never locked them up. One day he came in to work p!ssed as all get out. Someone stole the faceplate to his stereo. To get a replacement, he needed to show his registration paperwork. Never registered it. So, in place of that, he needed his original receipt from the purchase. Threw it away a long time ago. We laughed. He didn't see the humor in it like we did.

I used to lock my faceplate in the glove box. I only had one CD loaded down with MP3 files, so nothing to steal there. I was more concerned about someone stealing the spare tire.

I haven't owned a gun in 40 years. What good is it if you are sleeping and don't hear someone open the car door? Oh I guess I could have laid awake and shot the neighbor kid when he was out f****'ing around. I'm sure the parents would have understood. My advice to the OP is remove the snickers and the loose change from the car.

Get a dog so you can sleep at night.

Second - consider this scenario. House A and House B are identical, except that house A is occupied by a gun owning shooting enthusiast. If you're a thief and you know this, which one are you going to target? The path of least resistance... though, the same holds true for dog owners as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_hardening

You can find lots of faceplate son ebay from people who stole them from cars. Oh, and you can also find plenty of radios to match the faceplates, because people who have had their faceplates stolen often no longer have a use for the radio!

Yeah. Again, this was years ago. Can't remember if eBay was around then, but if it was, it was still very young and by any rate we didn't have computers so it wouldn't have helped. Pretty sure we didn't have credit cards either. Kinda hard to imagine any more. :drunk:

I used to lock my faceplate in the glove box. I only had one CD loaded down with MP3 files, so nothing to steal there. I was more concerned about someone stealing the spare tire.

The funniest part to me was that NOTHING else was stolen. Not the tapes, the stereo, the spare tire or anything else. Just the faceplate. Like the guy was doing for the sole reason of being a d!ck. but again, we were young and immature and thought stuff like that was funny. Today, it would really p!ss me off even if it was someone else's vehicle.

Get a dog so you can sleep at night.

Second - consider this scenario. House A and House B are identical, except that house A is occupied by a gun owning shooting enthusiast. If you're a thief and you know this, which one are you going to target? The path of least resistance... though, the same holds true for dog owners as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_hardening

I guess I'd break into house A and steal the guns.:D

damn. am I the only one who hoped to see Chamuco come swing a bat into the camera view & drop that low life ****er?!

I have guns, I have cameras up that record and upload to the web upon motion, my truck has a nice alarm, and my doors have jimmie jammers I installed... oh, & we have 4 dogs.

I work hard for my stuff, I refuse to allow someone who doesn't wish to work for theirs to take mine.

VegasJ said:
damn. am I the only one who hoped to see Chamuco come swing a bat into the camera view & drop that low life ****er?!

I have guns, I have cameras up that record and upload to the web upon motion, my truck has a nice alarm, and my doors have jimmie jammers I installed... oh, & we have 4 dogs.

I work hard for my stuff, I refuse to allow someone who doesn't wish to work for theirs to take mine.

Thanks VegasJ. There is not much worse than a f'er that would rather creep around the neighborhood checking door handles than get a job. Sweet revenge would be waiting in the back seat with a tire iron. This guy ended-up getting into 6 cars that night and is likely to meet a beat-stick the next time he returns to this neighborhood. I have since put a motion alarm on the camera.

when I lived in Vegas, everyone I knew/worked with told me not to lock my car. if they want in, they'll get in. that said, I catch anyone breaking into my house/car, they'll be staring down my 30-30 until the authorities arrive.

Back